Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A021R to be discontinued!

Drumster

Well, not strictly though but from the end of December 2015 it will no longer be 'E' marked and hence no longer road legal as I iunderstand it.

Richard at Automotive Engineering confirmed this with a phone call to Steve (Georges Polley's son) at Polley Motorsport (UK Importer's of the tyre). Apparently someone in Brussels has decreed that that don't shift enough water in the wet (Hmm, they're a wet motorsport tyre) and they are too loud for the road!!!

Seems such a shame as so many people find them an excellent cheap tyre and I've certainly no complaints from the 10 years plus that I've been using them.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Avon site on the CR28 Sport:

Note
The Avon CR28 Sport is EXEMPT from the EU tyre labeling regulation EC1222/2009 becuase (sic), The tyre is designed to be fitted only to vehicles registered for the first time before 1 October 1990.

I don't know my way round the regulations (and I'm not yet convinced about the A021 changes). Any experts out there? But my car was first registered in 1998!

Jonathan

Hi Peter, I have just bought a set of Rainexperts for my Seven as the 21s are expensive and only last a year. A chap on Pistonheads recommended them and I have a friend with another kit who bought some this year and he's been very impressed. I got 4 delivered from Camskill for £150.

When I've had a chance to try them, I will report back.

Duncan

Surely they can't remove the 'E' mark from tyres fitted before 2015  *nuts*.  Just buy yourself a stock of them...

Interestingly I heard that Avon ZZRs are being phased out because of the same regulations.  Although I have yet to find any proof of this.  That would cause problems for racers/sprinters/hillclimbers as they would be removed from List 1B..

Some might *argue* that what was first a regulation brought in to provide clear labellng of tyre characteristics to guide consumer choice, has now become a policy of NOT allowing consumer choice.

Am I right in thinking that tyres are now encoded with a year of manufacture?  If so is there a limit for raod use to the age of your tyres?

What is the UKIP policy on tyre noise, wet performance & rolling efficiency?

I think I know their policy on *drink* real ale *smile*