I'm really pleased with my new timing marks as they will be so much easier to read. They cover TDC to 30 degrees BTDC, which is more useful than Ford's 12 degree range.
Yesterday's goal was to fit the oil pump. I'm running a dry sump, so it's effectively two pumps in one. The pressure pump takes oil from the tank and pumps it into the engine whilst the scavenge pump takes oil from the sump and returns it to the tank.
Crossflows are notorious for leaking oil, which might have been acceptable in th 1960s but is now a bit embarrassing. I decided to try and do better, and a close look at the sump flange showed that at least a third of the holes were pulled proud of the mating surface.
With an accurate and repeatable way of determining crank angle, cam timing becomes quite straight forward. A dial gauge on cylinder #1 inlet valve showed maximum lift at 117 degrees ATDC, a rather large 7 degrees behind the reccommended setting of 110 degrees ATDC.
I might be going back over ground I've already covered, but now that the pistons have been machined for clearance for the bigger exhaust valves, it's time to have another go at the cam timing.
Now that I've finished my new cabinet for the garage, I can get pack to the quality time with my mill. I've removed even more metal from the crank timing disk, to the point where I'm happy with it. More to follow soon I hope.
This weekend was mostly spent on the un-scheduled replacement of the joists under the dining room floor. The deadline was monday morning, when the floorboards were going to be put back down. What to do with the old joists, which are stopping me from putting the car back in the garage.