Sorry, tyres again. 14” ZV3 replacements

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alex Rae
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 17/04/2014
Sorry, tyres again. 14” ZV3 replacements

I’m needing new tyres for my Roadsport. I’ve used Avon ZV3s since they came out and been happy with them. Not the most grip, but fine for a low powered car. 

However they are no longer made. I’ve seen Caterham offer ZT5s in that size, but I know nothing about them. 

 

Any suggestions? I don’t want to buy new 13” wheels and want a tyre of similar specification. 

 

Many thanks. 

DJ.
DJ.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 17/04/2014
I have been using Uniroyal Rain Experts for a few years, and now have the Rain Expert 3. I went from ZV3 to aO21r to the Uniroyals. The Uniroyals are definitely better than ZV3s in bad weather, and even hold up ok on track days the way I drive my 125 Smile
Wrightpayne
Wrightpayne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 17/04/2014

Uniroyal rain expert 3s get good reviews on blatchat for being a slightly grippier road tyre but good all rounder and good in the wet.

And another bonus < £160 for 4!

Ian

Steve Sheldon
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 17/04/2014

I am using Goodyear Efficient grip - excellent all round. Ran at Dunsfold in pouring rain. No problem in the dry and runs quieter than other makes due to tread pattern. Just do not expect them to wear out though!

Sussex West AR
Sussex West AR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2015

Uniroyal Rain expert 3 fitted alround earlier this year-good enough for me.Great value .

Thumb Up

Ian B
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 17/04/2014

A local owner is extremely happy with 888r's that are now available in 14"

The Completely Superior Ride Seven Wink

Roadsport06
Roadsport06's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 17/04/2014
It would be helpful to know what people are comparing their tyres to. Without this it makes judgements difficult. People in the past have posted that ZV3 are fine, something I would have agreed with in my first few months of driving, but having swapped them after a few "moments" I wouldn't go back. For me: ZV3 - tyre that came with my kit. Felt absolutely fine until I was in the wet or when I once needed to brake heavily. Yokohama A048r - big improvement in grip so better if I needed to stop quickly. Better in the wet. Side wall was stiff and the car would stick in the ruts in the road. R888 - Felt as grippy as A048r but much better at not following ruts. Better than ZV3 in the wet. R888R - Just fitted so unable to compare to others.
nickh7
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 17/04/2014

I don’t get it why fit tyres not designed for your car ? r888s 048rs ZZRs bloody amazing, grip is eye watering but you can slide if you want to , no I don’t have 000’s of BHP they are just great in 99% of conditions, the majority of time you’ll be driving in the dry damp or light rain and they are great in all of those. They don’t like standing water true but I’ve aquaplaned in an Audi A6 and Subaru.

you don’t walk around all year in Wellies just in case it snows or you come across deep mud do you ? 

If you encounter very heavy rain just slow down , use a higher gear  , accelerate and brake more gently. If it’s that bad pull over and wait for it to pass. The rest of the time you’ll be grinning like an loon as you lean on the grip 

I would never go back they just  are perfect for a 7 . 

"I take her to the floor, looking for a moment when the world feels right"

DJ.
DJ.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 17/04/2014

Each to their own.

I use my Seven mainly on the road, and I don't let rain stop me enjoying it. I organised a tour a few years ago and it rained for four days out of five. There was no way I could or even wanted to drop out and we had to drive though a lot of standing water. On days like that, I would happily trade a bit of outright grip for reduced chance of aquaplaning.

nickh7
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 17/04/2014

DJ I drove back from the ring in terrible weather and commute the 122 miles to Wales in mine in all weathers and for that 1% I wouldn’t trade the improvement in response and handling for the other 99% 

but as you say each to their own 

"I take her to the floor, looking for a moment when the world feels right"

Roadsport06
Roadsport06's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 17/04/2014
DJ - you say that your Uniroyal tyres are better in the rain than ZV3. Do you have any experience with R888 or similar to compare the two? R888 are so much better in the rain than ZV3 too.