Click here if you are having website access problems ×

NC 500 Tour

Davesvroadsport

After watching The Grand Tour on the TV the other night, as well as countless prompts from a certain member who lives on an island to our west (!) I'm thinking of putting together a trip around the (now infamous) NC 500. Sure it's a long run up and back, but the roads and the scenery are outstanding. So a day up, three days around and a day back. Most likely in early September after school starts back and preferably during the week so as to avoid crowds. 

Interested? 

Drop me a PM and we'll see if we can pull this off....

• 4 weeks later...

We did the Nc500 a couple of years ago, and we drove clockwise. On the single track north of Ullapool it was amazing how many mobile homes were coming the other way, as they almost all seemed to be going anti clockwise. It worked well for us as the stopped at a passing place as soon as they saw three Sevens coming and we'd just zoom past waving and smiling thanks *smile* . We only got held up when the mobile bank heading north towards Durness wouldn't let us past.

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Area Representative

Overall review: mostly a few views from the locals: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/may/25/dark-side-scotland-north-coast-500-route-speeding-congestion-protest

There are divergent views in the article but it gives slightly more space to those unsympathetic to the creation of the NC500.  I'm sure we are sympathetic to their antipathy to motorhomes, particularly when in groups of five!  I am particularly sympathetic to the point that visitors should make good use of local services: shops, restaurants and such like.

Some thoughts and ideas after doing the 500 last week, hope it's of use:-

1. Don't do the single track roads (Applecross, Lochcarron, Kylesku to Tongue etc) in groups larger than 2 cars; the passing places accommodate 2/3 vehicles at best and you will be in a world of frustration if you run together in a group.

2. Other vehicles will let you overtake in the passing places but please do the same for others; the fastest car we met was an 04 plate PT cruiser driven by a local

3. Don't worry re fuel. We took spare cans and never got close to needing them filling just north of Inverness, Ullapool and Wick

4. Book accommodation early, we booked in Sept (even earlier than I had remembered) and places were filling up then

5.We went clockwise which was a good idea as we covering route in 2 days. This meant we had the hardest, most tiring bit first. If you do the same, make Ullapool your overnight; the east coast roads are much less demanding than the west

6. Lastly, food and drink prices are on a par with London, be prepared!

7. Enjoy it, the scenery is Lord of the Rings esque

• Leadership Team

Agree with Kentrebel and Stephen - having made several trips to that part of the world, it is important to spend your money locally.

At one breakfast stop in Ullapool, I chatted to a lifelong resident who whilst appreciating that folks were enjoying the scenery, she lamented that many visitors just seemed to base themselves in Inverness, belt round the NC500 and spend money again at journey's end in Inverness

Also if the lead car goes through the passing place, that does not mean that the other 10 + cars must follow. It's a give and take process. Locals are trying to live their lives whilst we're enjoying ourselves. Work / school runs etc

I tend to stay on the west side anyway as some of the north-eastern areas are a bit boring.

have a great trip

Rog

Agreed- remember that the NC500 is an entirely arbitrary route , with no historical or cultural standing .

My advice is 

- get a map(remember those?) and work it out for yourself  

- do the NW coast with Fort William as the start , driving clockwise

- forget John O'Groats, head south via Altnaharra or Helmsdale

- don't drive like a d***head  , nor in convoy

-enjoy and respect the place and the people , don't be just a box ticker 

Short guide available - BM me if required.  

Did it last three years doing west coast this year ,poss do around 100 miles pr day depends if you want it as a relaxing holiday to enjoy the place or just a good blast round ,, I don’t think the hotels and b bs mind one night stops although some making two nights minimum  ,yes it’s extra work for them but the places still manage to get filled up   also more cash as it is a short season and there are some good places to eat ,,a Must is the pie shop at locinver    Fuel and a nice pie bloody great ,

And if you want to pace your trip best book early as poss 

enjoy the run 

derek

Hi tom depends we’re you want the first night and which way round you go as said I live on iom we get morn boat to heysham,, it’s a boring drive up motorways ect first leg so we go up to Pitlochry for first night poss around 250 miles leave heysham around 1 o’clock so get to Pitlochry 5-,5,30 poss stop once on way up ,,so gives chance for nice shower and walk into town for a drink and a nice meal plenty of good places ,, also plenty of accomadation at diff prices if you book early , then as said don’t bother with east coast go over towards sky area up west coast then poss down to Lairg area then again a boring run back down to heysham.  ,,but no other way really but well worth the trip 

enjoy 

derek

• Leadership Team

TomB - I seem to recall that wild camping is ok in Scotland provided you leave the place as you found it etc. 

There's a great bunk house / pub with drying rooms south of Fort William see below. 

www.inchree.co.uk

Don't forget the 'wee beasties', particularly on the west side of Scotland  - summer (early ish June through to Aug or even early Sept) is their human flesh party time  - go prepared with Avon Skin So Soft. It's fine when you're driving but the minute you stop by water to admire the vista - they're there....chomp, chomp, chomp.

And to pick up JA's point. You don't have to stick to the NC500 'route' - it was created by local councils and tourist authorities etc. Be inventive and go off piste.

Rog

Sorry Rodger I don’t get piste while I’m driving 

Derek 

And  yes there are some great roads ,we came down from nr bettyhill down the side of loch shin I think it was, stayed at a b b called overscraig hotel nice place middle of nowhere on way down to Lairg but they did food and had a bar 

magic 

derek

• 2 weeks later...