Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture
2019 F1 SEASON INCL SPOILERS

Wow! That came round quick.

I'm really looking forward to this year. Thumb Up

Ivaan
Ivaan's picture

No live coverage on FTA TV this year  Redcard

Anywhere else you can watch it without paying Sky?

BECs Rule !
BMS7

Was there yesterday and today. Mercedes clearly more than foxing. Hoping for it not to be a Lewis disappearing into the distance race tomorrow.  I think that would not be good for the sport. IMHO Le Clerc v impressive, I can see Max passing Vettel ( just seems more aggressive), Bottas stepped up and then Lewis showed his class, Haas solid and best of the rest, Racing Point shown as just a place for Lance to play, Renault midfield runners- still appear down on power, Giovenazxi put in a stunner a bit too early, Kimi is Kimi, Lando Norris- take a bow!, Williams May struggle to see the year out- 3 seconds down- and the wonderful return of Kubica is seriously close to being an embarrassment with him being beaten by nearly a second by the lad next door. Very sad. Kvyatt looked strong but let’s see how he goes in a race with other cars around him. 

Forcast for tomorrow is 27 again. Come on over. Grandstands sold out but room in General Admission. 

Bruce 

Stephen Long
Stephen Long's picture
I listen to 5 live ....and watch catchup. I am also looking forward to it this year mainly due to the documentary on Netflix...showing as it did behind the scenes of some of the teams. Longy
Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Think Hamilton will poss walk it again this year.  Bottas doesn’t seem to be able to get the better of him I thought Ferrari.  Would be better.  See how they go in the race and think vettel will be saying why the hell did they sign Leclerc. They could end up tripping over each other and give another boost to Hamilton 

cold and wet here as usual 

but booking  trip round Scotland   So happy little Yorkshire man. Who emigrated to a wet and windy place 

derek

Would love to see vestspen in bottas s car think he would give Hamilton a good run for his money 

john aston
john aston's picture

I found George Russell very impressive;obviously the pace isn't there in the Williams  but he looked like a driver who had the confidence to wring every ounce of speed from his car . And I can't see Kubica lasting the season frankly .

BMS7

So what do you do when your driver’s race is over at about 6.7 seconds? You notice a couple of laps later that Bottas is leading and then watch him lap  all but 5 other cars. Sadly, You watch a former champ return to F1 and ( unless there was a car issue I am unaware of) prove that he does not belong there. A couple of bright young guys in Leclerc  and Norris grabbed their opportunities by the throat and shook it. Pity Ferrari called Leclerc off after making up about 7 seconds on his Boss. Letting him go for it would have proved a bright spark on a dull day. Now it is easy to see why Vettel said No Thanks to DR joining him. Ferrari should grow a pair. Imagine if they had Leclerc and someone else. 

Hats off to Bottas for a brilliant drive. But F1 now has a huge headache as all of their posturing and “big changes” that were going to fix things have failed. Another race or two of processions and the audience will fall away. Maybe there should be an extra point on tap for the best drive by someone 21 or younger. Or a compulsory retirement at 33 ( except for Kimi- what’s not to love?)

at least the weather was nice. 

Bruce

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

I know it's your home track Bruce, but why oh why do we persist with circuits that are designed in such a way as to largely eliminate overtaking and thus racing. Of the overtakes we did see, many were not straight fights, but one car getting past another struggling with tyres or other injuries. Just seems pointless to me. Hungary is the same. Tediously processional. I make an exception for Monaco, because it is Monaco. Hehe

That said, brilliant drive by VB. Ferrari disappointingly off the pace and Red Bull appear to be where they left off  at the end of last year.

Made up for Lando. A shame he couldn't have grabbed a point in his very first GP. I really hope George Russell doesn't do a Vandoorne and sink in an under-performing car. He deserves much better than that.

I cry for Williams.

Not sure how I feel about a point for fastest lap. We'll see how that one pans out over the year.  

BMS7

I agree John. They desperately need to lengthen the track in two spots. It just won’t happen due to local politics. I do also lay some blame with Bernie. Had he not gouged us for $50m per year, there would not be such opposition from non car people. But I can’t see a Chase reducing the cost. 

Agree re Lando and George. Leclerc is pure class. F1 should move heaven and earth to ensure young guys like him are not hamstrung by teams hanging onto an aging ex champ. 

And agree re Monaco. They can really only afford one or two processional tracks, even with the 29 races we seem to now have. I had to read the words twice when I saw that Malaysia’s government pulled out when the renewal was offered at $110m per year. 

Huge crowds this year. Bet lots won’t return. Once the first lap was over there was no energy in the crowd. And I broke with tradition and walked about a third of the track during the race. 

But it was a nice warm sunny day, good for the suntan. 

Bruce

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Must admit now I just tape races and watch start then fast forward to any good bits how one of the commentators could say at the end it was a good race haven’t a clue he must have been watching a diff race to me 

street circuits are never going to give much overtaking it now seems races are won and lost in the pits.  

Sorry but it all boils down to money as usual with a crowd of 345000 must be a good gate receipt be nice to take a few gismoas  of the cars make it more to do with the driver. When you watch the old F1 races with the cars leaving the road and overtaking was a lot better 

wonder how long it is before they work out if they drive the cars remotely they would save a fortune on drivers wages 

looks like Leclerc is the no 2 driver pity but he probably new that when he signed and yes I would love to have seen Ricciardo in a Ferrari but we New it was not going to happen. Think he would have beaten vettell 

enjoy the wine and the sun Bruce and the long cue to get out and home 

Derek 

Ivaan
Ivaan's picture

Made the mistake of listening to the news this morning. Heard "Valtery Bo....." Before I could switch it off !!

BECs Rule !