2019 F1 SEASON INCL SPOILERS

278 posts / 0 new
Last post
elie boone

If they would ditch power steering that would reduce the amount  of grip at front wing and make overtaking easier. 

wild bill
wild bill's picture

Personally i think F1 in it's current format is flogging a dead horse so tinkering with a circuit isn't going to make any difference. 

Simplest solution would be random wetting of the track.................

BMS7

Yet, about a third of the current races are great, a third only ok and a third ( including Melb) are awful. But I for one prefer to focus on the great ones and think there is a desire by the owners to get a higher percentage to be entertaining - after all, the better the races, the more people watch and the more money they make. 

One thing is for sure, it ain’t going to go back to the way it was.

Some great racing (2018-Austin, Azerbaijan, Silverstone..), 

you could get close to the action ( I stood two meters from the track in several places in a Melb),

you could get close to the drivers  ( absolutely but tv has made every famous person untouchable - anybody rubbed shoulders with your local Paul Pogba lately?).

they used to be louder, yep ( personally, at 65 I am not unhappy that they are loud but not piercing. remembering I have ridden in the 2 seater v10). 

Given we mostly watch on tv or online we can always turn it off. 

Besides, now we have Daniel Avocado and Lewis Hamilton creating a new breakfast phenomenon - ham and avocado on toast. The new Laurel and Hardy they are not.

Bruce

BBL
BBL's picture

As an American, I'm surprised that any of you are surprised!? In 2014, the rules were changed at most every level, and (crucially) testing days were to be limited.  So whoever got it right straight out-of-the-box (Mercedes) was destined to start a 'dynasty' in F1.  The current (and ongoing) domination by Mercedes was all but guaranteed, and is likely to continue until the next rule change of significance.  Until then, I'll be napping on Sunday mornings, thank you very much. Thumb Down

edit --

P.S. - I used to get up around 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. local time to watch each of the European GPs on Sunday mornings, and sometimes earlier.  Now, I frequently just delete the recording I've made and intentionally read the result on-line.  I will always watch F1 in some capacity, but that capacity has greatly diminished from what it once was.

Smile Sean

Golf Juliet Tango

The limitation of testing rule is very odd.  I know that it is supposed to level the playing field by stopping the rich teams from spending zillions of £ on test days but it just moves those zillions into computational fluid dynamics, it doesn't reduce the advantage of substantially bigger budgets.

Stephen Hubbard

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

BMS7

I am also an American Sean, though have lived in Australia since 76. Not sure if it is worse getting up at 5am or starting the race at midnight or 2am...

until the distribution of money is somewhat equalized the on track action won’t be either.  Teams like a Haas and Alfa Romeo have shown how far you can go buying other people’s engines and transmissions but a second a lap is light years behind. And that is on a good day. Roll on 2020. It will be interesting to see if the current grumbling and posturing will lead to actual change or just a shuffling of the deck chairs. Fingers crossed for the former. If Chase and Co want to maximize their returns then it has to change. 

Bruce

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Don’t think changing the rules a bit will help much Bruce the top three teams have the financial backing to poss get round any thing money talked I’m afraid 

Derek 

elie boone

Money talks in F1 but "in the day" smaller teams could surprise the big teams once in a while and now this won't happen anymore.

john aston
john aston's picture

And it never will with such prescriptive rules - effectively each team has to make the same car. And that translates not into economy - come on it's F1 - but the ability of the big 3 to throw huge resources at securing minor gains. Cumulatively it adds up to lots of tiny tweaks adding up to an extra second a lap.

There  is  not any  prospect of any disruption by original , left field thinking , and smart ideas can sometimes even be cheap too. Of course the bangs per buck from a V6 hybrid is impressive , in a spreadsheety sort of way , but compared to the seismic shock of initiatives from Grand Prix history , it  doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Look at the stuff we have had - and even if not all of it worked , wasn't it exciting ? Turbos first time round in '77 , rear engined cars(from Auto Union pre war to Cooper post war etc ) , IL and flat 4s , IL and V 6s, V8s  V10s , V12s , W12 ,H16 ,V16 gas turbine , supercharging  , 4wd ,enclosed bodywork,wings , ground effect , the breakthroughs which Lotus 25, 49 and 78/79 represented etc etc  

And now ? Tiny variations on the same  tune . 

And spending does even not relate to what the regs say - teams will always find a way  to p*** away every single penny somehow - remember the BAR carbon fibre toilet seats ? At least we are spared those absurd gazillion quid new car launches when the new car would be hailed as the second coming - I'm talking about you  Essex Petroleum ..... 

BMS7

Read an interesting article by Cyril from a Renault that they will be pushing for a reduced spending cap as their number one priority ahead of rule changes. 

Bruce