2019 F1 SEASON INCL SPOILERS

278 posts / 0 new
Last post
john aston
john aston's picture

Bad behaviour on track (aka sportsmanship if you like the driver) is nothing new  and whilst I certainly don't approve of it drivers way back  such as Farina were certainly notorious  for their debatable behaviour. I loathe some of Schumacher and Senna's antics but did that mean they  weren't their era's pre-eminent drivers , warts and all ? Not in my book

BMS7

In one way we all agree on one thing. There are different definitions of Great or Greatness. Personality, driving skills, perceived fairness/aggressiveness, WDCs won or lost, etc, etc,etc

Oh, I thought of a second thing, discussions like this have been the fodder for many a water cooler discussion or another round at the pub.

enjoy.

Bruce

TomB

But winning the championship, in whatever era and cars, is a great leveller. Whoever it is, has outscored his peers, in the formula of the day. One that basis, WDC can be ranked as the best in any single year. For example Jenson Button was the highest scoring driver in 2009, amongst his peers and that year, and can be considered the best that year.

Lewis Hamilton has outscored his peers and rivals 5 times this decade, over his generation he has beaten his peers not once but 5 times. In my view he is the best of his generation. Other F1 drivers and people on the inside seems to recognise this, why can’t some of the public? 

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

But winning the championship, in whatever era and cars, is a great leveller. Whoever it is, has outscored his peers, in the formula of the day. One that basis, WDC can be ranked as the best in any single year. For example Jenson Button was the highest scoring driver in 2009, amongst his peers and that year, and can be considered the best that year.

And using that same method and with enough movement between teams you can do year to year comparisons... but people don't like the results... F1Metrics. And the author has just updated his method. 

Jonathan

john aston
john aston's picture

Well, if the original rated Frentzen and Watson higher than Senna  it did sort of undermine any credibility it claimed to have .. 

And as for rating Eddie Cheever (Eddie Cheever ! ) higher than Surtees , Ickx, Mansell , Piquet , (Mario ) Andretti and G Villeneuve ...err shome mishtake shurely ? Has  this guy ever actually watched a race live I wonder ? 

BMS7

Absolutely agree. If your definition of greatness is based on numbers then LH is the second greatest of all time. No question. 

Bruce

rgrigsby

One other minor statistic that I'm sure has been mentioned, currently, Lewis has won more than 50% of the races in the hybrid era (61 out of 120 races). OK yes he's had the best or near best car for most of that time but it's still a pretty incredible statistic.

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture
Wrightpayne
Wrightpayne's picture

So what do we think Toto is up to this weekend - first GP he has missed since becoming head of Mercedes motorsport?

john aston
john aston's picture

He's holed up in his Alpine retreat , stroking a white cat and  planning world domination . 'So..Herr Brawn , ve haff been expecting you ..' 

I am still delighted to see Honda at the sharp end - how they queued up to sneer at their early efforts . They 're not sneering now , are they Zak ?