2019 F1 SEASON INCL SPOILERS

312 posts / 0 new
Last post
Green7
Green7's picture

Bring back ‘re fuelling’ and the V12s

Jack Bayliss

Alex Rae

Patrick Head is now working for Williams in “a short-term consultancy basis". While I am delighted to see Patrick back at Williams, I do wonder how much someone who has been out of the sport since 2011 can offer. Except, if the stories are true, a fair few bollockings at the factory!

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

Agree. Hopefully PH is there to identify strengths and weaknesses in the staffing, whip it into shape, recruit some key people (Paddy Lowe was clearly not up to the job - 2 donkeys on the trot!) and then slip back into retirement.

Much as I love the thought of Claire Williams heading up her Dad's outfit, I do wonder if she's the right person for that amazingly difficult job. Would PH dare suggest to Frank that a change is needed?

Tony P

Do we know why Lowe has left? Maybe he didn’t have the heart (rather than the ability) for dragging the team up out of the mire? He started out at Williams; Frank Dernie employed him the do coding or electronics or something on active ride.

I thought Claire was more-or-less fulfilling the same role as Frank - I don’t imagine she has a lot to do with running the race team on the ground. Patrick always ran the show during their glory years.

”Would PH dare suggest to Frank that a change is needed?” (I.e. ousting Claire). 
Yes, I think so - but is that the problem? Unless her presence is deemed to be a stumbling block to attracting funding...

Tony Pashley

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

There  is  not any  prospect of any disruption by original , left field thinking , and smart ideas can sometimes even be cheap too.

Wouldn't that be great?

I asked Pat Symonds that precise question in January: what could he do in his new rôle to develop regulations that encouraged innovation by specifying limits rather than designs? He dismissed it as being too expensive for the participants.

Jonathan

PS: The other angle I worked into it was the analogy between F1 powertrains and the last gasp of the extraordinary piston engines developed for aircraft just before gas turbines came on stream.

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

Don't like DRS, but cracking race so far Thumb Up

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

And getting better. And I have to go out before the end!

Jonathan

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

!!!

Jonathan

john g

How unlucky Confused

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

Hamilton and Bottas won't enjoy analysing the first few laps.

If anyone can find an explanation of what was happening to tyres and grip I'd appreciate it.

Jonathan