2019 F1 SEASON INCL SPOILERS

312 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steve Cragg
Steve Cragg's picture

One thing that does seem to have worked with the new regs is cars being able to follow more closely. There were several instances on Sunday where cars were under a second behind and able to keep running that close for a significant period without shredding their tyres. Agree China was a crap race but hopefully this will lead to more action on other circuits.

I also miss the insight and analysis that JA used to publish. Also meltdown that often occurred in the comments section!

Steve

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

Also meltdown that often occurred in the comments section!

A mix of fanbois and highly knowledgeable experts. Quite unlike our own dear... :-)

Jonathan

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

Probably harsh, but in my opinion there are 3 drivers who are taking race seat they don't deserve.

Top of the list is Lance Stroll, who hasn't made it out of Q1 for the last 8 races. He is mediocre at best and is clearly there only by dint of his old man owning the team.

Pierre Gasly is just too inconsistent and way, way off Max's pace. 

Third is Robert Kubica. I'm afraid he is not the force he once was. Consistently outpaced by rookie George Russell and seems to be overdriving. But for the money he brings to the ailing Williams team, he wouldn't be there.

One other driver who should be a wee bit nervous is Caros Sainz. For a driver in his 5th season, he is being largely trounced by rookie, Lando Norris.

Finally, the team who seem to have slammed it into reverse since Australia, is Renault. They can't blame the power unit any longer, since Mclaren are way ahead on performance and results. Has to be chassis. Cyril must be getting a bit squeaky bum too. Poor old Danny Ric must be wondering what the hell he has got himself into. 

BMS7
BMS7's picture

How could anyone not agree regarding Lance Boil? An OK driver but is only there due to His dad, Tommy Hilfiger. And they could have kept Ocon.....

IMHO Gasly is an ok to good driver perfect for Max as he has potential but is miles off being a threat. Love to see Max in an ordinary car for a year. Would he be more like Kvyat than people might expect? Me thinks so. 

Kubica is a sad case. Money alone shouldn’t buy you a seat. He could get badly hurt this year except he is so intelligent that I think he will follow Dirty Harry’s maxim of,”a mans got to know his limitations”

I see Sainz as an improving driver. Yes, outshined early but long term is a good person for them to have at this point. If Norris IS good enough to beat him internally then it makes for a good pairing. 

Who could argue that Renault are, so far, the biggest disappointment (followed by Haas). Indeed , it does point toward the chassis and the pressure will be on Cyril shortly. At some stage someone back in head office will either have to loosen the purse strings  or close up shop. I don’t think they are in there just to be midfield. 

Roll on new rules after 2020. 

Bruce

Stephen Long
Stephen Long's picture
The race is looking on on the radio.... I don't have sky, you may have guessed Longy
elie boone

The reason Gasly is not closer to Verstappen is simply that all the focus is on Verstappen, why do you think Ricciardo left Red Bull ?

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

I think you are right that Max probably has more of the focus and is clearly their no 1, but what team would deliberately construct themselves or operate in a way so as not to maximise (see what I did there) results from both drivers. Team is king in F1. I just don't think Gasly passes muster. I'd lay odds you would see two Red Bulls up there if Ocon was in the other seat.

That said, whilst i really admire Christian Horner, I don't think he has quite got the touch of managing two superstars like Max and Dani which is why Dani was lured away by Renault. Look what happened between Sebastian and Dani and before that Sebastian and Mark Webber. Sadly, right now, doesn't look like Dani has made the smartest move, but time will tell and I really hope it works out for him. 

john aston
john aston's picture

Stroll is never going to be WDC , but most of the flak he gets isn't for his pace , but for the 'sin' of having a rich and unlikeable father, (on the evidence  of Netflix). He finished 3rd at Azerbaijan in 2017- in a Williams too,  so he is no slouch, even if his eyebrows are slightly weird ...

In other news , what 's with the flashing red lights on the back of F1 cars ? Will they get indicators too ?

Branding - just to illustrate how F1 occupies a parallel universe , consider the Red Bull . It has a Honda engine , but the team is partly sponsored by Aston Martin. The fine old British firm whose engines aren't made by Aston any more , but (whisper it) by Mercedes . Who power the cars the Red Bull is trying to beat on track , and ,with the NSX , on the road too . Weird 

And talking of weird ..what the hell has happened to all th people in Baku ? If this had been Monaco , every balcony and  every rooftop would be covered with spectators. But here ? Hardly a soul . I blame a zombie apocalypse- or the Azerbaijan government (if there is a difference )

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

"In other news , what 's with the flashing red lights on the back of F1 cars ? Will they get indicators too ?"

Being a bit naughty there John? A man of your calibre John, surely knows that the lights indicate when the car is harvesting energy for the battery systems. Or is it when the driver is having a drink? Hehe

john aston
john aston's picture

Tell you what - the flashing red  light in my living room signifies my reaction to every time I hear the words 'investigation' ,' safety car' and/or ' undercut'. Or Ecclestone , or ...(continues on page 29 )