198 posts / 0 new
Last post
DougBaker
DougBaker's picture
2019 UK General Election

December 12th here we go.

DougBaker
DougBaker's picture

This from the FT was published before the actual vote but is interesting all the same.

FT - Polls point to Johnson being at risk of May’s electoral debacle

John Curtice, the UK’s leading pollster, said that Mr Johnson’s hopes of victory would depend on how well the Brexit party does. The better Nigel Farage’s party polls, the more votes they will take off the Tories and risk letting in Labour.

“This election is not about Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, it’s about Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage. Labour’s hopes rest heavily on the Brexit party doing well — that’s the paradox of this campaign,” he told the FT.

Personally I think we are heading for a hung parliament, with the Conservatives losing ground to Lib Dems and SNP. I don't expect the Labour party to be able to win ( I am a member and won't be voting for them as where I live there is no point )

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

Agreed: time for tactical voting. Yet again.

But Jo Maugham has a slightly longer list of actions:

Jonathan

Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

Still mystified why we're having a General Election about a single topic.  A second referendum was "utterly undemocratic" but a second GE (driving a coach and horses through the reason for the Fixed-Term Parliament Act) is welcomed by all sides.  And a GE is less democratic - my vote has not counted once in the 35 years I've lived in a strong Tory constituency (with a notorious Leave MP).

TomB

Hopefully another hung parliament will lead to more discussions about electoral reform, particularly some form of PR.  This first past the post system isn't working for swathes of the electorate, especially those in 'safe' seats.  

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

We certainly need some constitutional improvements but it's hard to see where we'll get the breathing space, and a hung parliament might make that harder rather than easier.

Back in the thread that dare not speak its name I mentioned Bogdanor's conclusion that you can't make changes to any one of parliamentary representation, devolution and our relations with the EU without affecting the other two.

Jonathan

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture
wild bill
wild bill's picture

i fear it'll be a Tory landslide. Corbyn is IMHO seen as unelectable. Not because of his opinions (actually if you can be bothered to take the plunge there's an enlightening interview/discussion between him and George Stuffalotapoussis, i mean Yanis Varoufakis.) but because of how he is portrayed by the media and the fact that he is terrible on TV.

The Liberals are unelectable because of.... jeeez where do you start?

Basically there isn't anyone. I mean i hate them all with equal rage useless pointless f..ktards

We need constitutional reform desperately if Boris and his mate Rees Fogg are the best option. Befor the referndum it was all neatly hidden and everyone carried on. No one bloomin cared about whether we were in the EU of not (OK well hardly anyone)

PeterM

Hopefully another hung Parliament...................are you mad!

First past the post has done us OK for many, many years; anyway I recall that PR was thrown out at another 'once in a lifetime' referendum. Tinkering with the constitution is dangerous, as demonstrated by the idiot that brought in Fixed Term Parliaments for a short term 'fix' on a hung parliament..........that worked well didn't it! 

We have had 10 years of politics, change politics, student politics, Scottish politics, rubbish politics and recently legal politics. The UK needs is some stability with a strong government able to do things and prove to the rest of the World that it is not falling completely to bits.  

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

I cannot se anybody in there right mind voting for Corbyn ,,, hes a total fruit cake ,,

derek 

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

i fear it'll be a Tory landslide.

No need for fear. Nil desperandum.

"... never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty — never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense."

How to vote tactically, from GetVoting.org.

Jonathan