2019 UK General Election

216 posts / 0 new
Last post
garybee

What's the view on EU nationals voting in the British GE. S

A change at this point would be wrong.

I'm prepared to believe that some people genuinely believe EU citizens should have a vote in a UK GE, so long as they were outspoken on that view before Brexit was tabled.  If they only decided that EU citizens should have a vote after that point then their motivation is more of the same 'whatever gets the outcome I want' rubbish.  Same view for any proposed age changes.

Tazio
Tazio's picture
Corbyn is not the issue, it's the puppet meister Macdonald and his own stated Marxist belief and policies and their implications that you need to understand when making a considered decision...
wild bill
wild bill's picture

i've always believed that if you are resident in the UK and paying taxes you should have a say as to who uses that revenue and how BUT i agree with Gary, changing the qualification to achieve the result you want is very poor.

We need electoral reform though, although proportional rep is not the answer that will deliver imo. There are some very good systems available. Unfortunately the real problem is the majority of politicians themselves not necessarily how they are voted in.

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Your right Stephen I don’t get  a vote but think it is only fair that I give you all my ,wealth of experience and unbiased opinions 

derek

Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

Rofl

Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

EU nationals voting: yes, there should be some sort of residency qualification as there are with rugby players for example.  Two examples show how illogical it is

1. UK expats were disqualified from voting in the referendum if they'd lived abroad for 15 years but an EU national who'd lived here for 15 did not qualify (even though both cases were sure to be amongst the most-affected by the outcome)
  2. A child born here is given the vote after 18 years, an EU national never.

Of course, they could apply for (dual) UK citizenship after 5 years + 1 year.  It costs £1,330 to apply...

Rugby international eligibility rules:

There are four ways a player can be eligible to represent a country at international level.

1. They were born in the country.
  2. They have a parent or grandparent who was born in the country.
  3. They have lived in the country for 36 consecutive months (three years) to qualify on residency immediately before playing.
  4. They have completed ten years of cumulative residence in the country before playing.
Golf Juliet Tango

but think it is only fair that I give you all my ,wealth of experience and unbiased opinions

Clearly!

---

Corbyn is fine (but wrong on Ireland., the Levant and Europe) but MacDonald and Tom Watson rational and sensible.  There is nothing to fear there.  However it is unlikely I will vote for the local Labour candidate.  Labour policy is wrong about abolishing public schools but I would certainly change their charitable status, which when state schools are at a financial disadvantage, is utterly absurd. Either you abolish their charitable status or put significant demands upon the charitable part of their set-up.  They are very clearly simply businesses these days.

Stephen Hubbard

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Sorry Stephen Corbyn is a total waste of space , think he’s from another planet , and talkes more crap than I do ,,if that’s possible 

derek 

DougBaker
DougBaker's picture

Derek, you should check out who is leading the Conservatives.

He has a fault or two himself and unlike Corbyn and the Labour party the Conservative party does what its told when the leader speaks.

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Agree but just think Johnson is the lesser of two evils ,,, mind you I like trump so ,,wouldn’t take me to serious ,,give Boris his due he did as much as he could to get out of EU on 31 st  but like pissing in the wind , when the rest are against you ,, also glad bercow is out ,loves himself to much ,,, will poss now go on to make millions ,

derek