2021 F1 SEASON INCL SPOILERS

740 posts / 0 new
Last post
paul richards

I too would like to go to Zandvoort, but I think it is more likely to be Budapest as Senior management likes the city. I did consider Spa but I've been a few times and it always rains. Decisions, decisions. I hope the vaccine will allow me to do one of them.

Paul Richards

LADS Joint AR  Drink

I thought 2020 was the year that was going to give me all I wanted. It turned out to be the year to make me appreciate what I've got.

BMS7
BMS7's picture

Barring a third wave, I expect Melbourne GP will go ahead with limited crowd of 30-50,000. The Boxing Day test is being limited to 30,000 I believe ( ground holds 100,000). One advantage the GP has is they are already planning to spread the grandstands further apart. Hopefully some mooted changes to the track will allow better racing. 
While last year's handling of the cancellation was not good at the time, in hindsight we were at the very pointy end of a rapidly changing set of circumstances and the cancellation was a good decision. I had only made my decision not to go when I woke up that morning. 
Agree with all the comments re the great racing on the added venues this year. 
Maybe each driver could be forced to sit out one race during the year and Perez could be the fill in? Maybe I should just move to the IOM?

Happy racing 2021

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Don't come on a jet ski Bruce ,,you'll end up in jail 

Derek

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

Coming back to the billionaire son thing. 

Lawrence Stroll is something of a mystery and through his nepotism should certainly shoulder part of the blame for RP's failed targets this year..

He is portrayed as this extremely shrewd, hard-nosed businessman and yet despite two seasons that, at best, could generously be described as average, Lance Stroll remains in the team for 2021. I am damned certain that if he was anyone other than the boss's son, he would have been toast after his first season.

Blood is clearly thicker than water, but is Stroll Snr. really willing to compromise or even scupper his plans and aspirations for RP/AM just to give his son his F1 wet dream? Weird!

Roy Blyth
Roy Blyth's picture

A bit harsh?  Compared to the much vaunted Perez, Stroll Jnr was ahead of him on points for about a third of the season, got a podium finish and a pole position.  Not much to choose between their average grid and finish positions either.  He does have his odd moments, like in the last race, but I don't think he's that shabby.

And here's a weird fact, Esteban Ocon has the same birthday as Stirling Moss and Damon Hill - 17th September  Yikes 

john aston
john aston's picture

Nor me - he is a very capable driver. Not top drawer , but there's only room for very few at the top table - Lewis, Charles and Max at present, with Carlos , Daniel . Pierre and Checo not far behind . Lando too ? Stroll is far more impressive to watch than the now tragically superannuated Raikkonen ,or the pretty underwhelming  Latifi and Giovinazzi come to that , and I am happy to see him continue. Although   I know that means some penniless working class hero without a rich dad doesn't get a drive - plus ca change ...  

Were it not so  , we'd have a grid full of Tommy Byrnes , so we  would . Shudder. 

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

We'll agree to differ on Lance's capabilities, but are you saying that Lawrence choosing his son can be in the best interests of the team and it's goals? Surely Seb plus any one of any number of team mates, including Sergio, would stand them in far better stead?

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

Sad to see that Sir Frank is in hospital, although described a stable. Fingers crossed and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

BMS7
BMS7's picture

I think it will be interesting to see the Vettel/Stroll combination.  Vettel will be keen to reestablish his credibility as a top driver so I don't expect him to play a big brother role as Lance's teacher. 
Lance has shown talent at times but I agree that when he drops his head, he is very ordinary. He has now had four seasons in F1. Many drivers are not afforded that luxury without results AND maturity in the car and out. Are his results good enough given the quality of his car? I can't recall an interview with him that showed the character and maturity that is demanded of others. 
Compare Lance with Gasly, who has had three full years in F1,....Pierre has fought his way back from enormous disappointment to now be recognized for his talent and looks to have a bright future. IMHO Lance has a long way to go to earn the same level of respect from his peers. 
But all will be sorted on the track in 2021!
Bruce

john aston
john aston's picture

Of course Lance  is not as good as some but he's good enough to get a pole,and to get the odd podium, And let's get real , if your son were as capable as Lance , and you owned an F1 team , of course you'd give him a seat., surely ?  But there is a pattern here , I'd suggest - sons of famous fathers and sons of rich ones  have always attracted flak , almost regardless of ability , simply because of who they are . The fact that other drivers might have been relatively poor , but have very rich supporters,  seems not to attract the same opprobrium . Even Ronnie Peterson  had rich mates. ...