823 posts / 0 new
Last post
Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

To late Bruce nothing left to suction ,all sold 

derek

noise of the minardi won't be as nice as your 485 

TomB

I remember looking down on the Minardi two seater as it screamed out of Lodge at Oulton Park and I was on a bank next to the track and the racing line.  Horizontally, probably 5m and 2m below me.  I was trembling afterwards.  Thumb Up

rgrigsby

Many years ago at the Goodwood Festival of Speed I remember seeing Takuma Sato in the BAR going up the hill, he happened to stop exactly where I was standing and proceeded to do a series of donuts with the V10 screaming away about 3m in front of me. Not something I'll forget in a hurry.

rgrigsby

Off we go again, COTA looks like a fun track to drive. Seems to be a favourite for Lewis, how do we think the Red Bulls will fair this weekend?  the media seems to think Mercedes have the performance edge now.

paul richards

First practice certainly seems to bear out that Mercs have advantage. 

Paul Richards

LADS Joint AR  Drink

I thought 2020 was the year that was going to give me all I wanted. It turned out to be the year to make me appreciate what I've got.

ScottR400D

Theories are either they're running the engines harder, hence the reliability issues, or they've actually developed the engines under the reliability rule or they've got some undeclared system for changing the rake on the straights giving less drag.

Time will tell but they do look like they've got a major car advantage now, at least in F1 terms.  

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

Sky showed a video illustrating the Mercdes rear suspension 'squatting' down at a certain speed on the straights, thereby stalling the rear diffuser and giving greater straight line speed. Clever system, because you can't just put in a mechanism that operates purely on speed, otherwise, on full beans corners, if it did that, the car would fly off into the scenery. And I believe the regs very clearly state such a mechanism cannot be driver operated. They are a brainy bunch at Mercedes, the DAS system from last year proved that.

Here, Gary Anderson explains what's going on - probably.

Update: According to Martin Brundle, this system is neither new, nor are Mercedes the first to implement it. It just seems that it is particularly suited to the low rake cars (Mercedes & AM) and Mercedes have worked out how to make it work best for them.

ScottR400D

No it's not new, apparently Ferrari had something similar a year or two ago? Also, with DRS, it's not always an extra huge gain, I'm told, so this turn of speed is possibly at least as much down to power rather than losing drag. 

As I always say though, time will tell!

I for one hope the Mercedes gain isn't too big, it would be a shame for the season to fizzle out because of a huge car difference.

paul richards

At the speeds F1 cars reach I understand that to gain extra top speed requires significant extra power so I doubt Merc have improved their engine much. The big win to increase top speed is the reduction of drag which clearly the system would achieve. If I understand it the system will work better on the Merc because it suits the rake on their car. 

Paul Richards

LADS Joint AR  Drink

I thought 2020 was the year that was going to give me all I wanted. It turned out to be the year to make me appreciate what I've got.

ScottR400D

#810 That's a good point but I'm now sure we fully know exactly where the speed gain is. 

In Turkey the Mercs were slower than the Ferraris in a straight line and had less then 5mph over RB though their straight line speed was described as 'astonishing', yet they were clearly much quicker over a lap. 

I haven't seen any speed trap numbers from COTA yet. Assuming the Mercs are quicker there, we'll eventually see if it's simply a faster straight line speed or if they've made gains elsewhere.