29th March 2021 is very important

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Geoff Brown
Geoff Brown's picture
29th March 2021 is very important

29th March is the date when 'stay at home' ends - hopefully.  On or after that date looks good to tax the car as long as all government & health parameters are met.

So gentlemen & ladies 29th March - START YOUR ENGINES !  Driving

Phil
Phil's picture
But will you waite u til the 1st April to tax it or pay another unfair month?
Golf Juliet Tango

CAVEAT: All things going well.

I have no objection to paying VED, it is a pleasure & a privilege to take the Seven or the 21 out.  I had already planned to tax the 21 on 1 April and will be taking it for a rolling road session at Northampton Motorsport on Tuesday 6 April.

GIF from Giphy (available elsewhere too) all credit to Jim Henson & the Muppets.

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

David Brown

In Scotland, the only reason it's important is that, as usual, it's my birthday. We'll have to wait a bit longer as we can't be seen to be agreeing with anything that comes out of Westminster, we have to be different. 

Toughie
Toughie's picture

Rofl

Lest I forget, have a happy birthday, come the day.

Alan

Commercial Lead

RogNeedham

I'm sure many of us have been tittivating ready for the glorious day Geoff....but (and I hope Mr Simon Calder, Travel writer doesn't mind me borrowing his words..)

"The 'stay at home' rule for England will end, being replaced on 29 March by the guidance to “stay local”.

It is not yet known how this will be defined: does travelling 20 miles to a country park, or 50 miles to a beach, count as local?

Since it is guidance there is no legal maximum, but the government says: “People should continue to minimise travel wherever possible.”

As ever it would appear more detail is needed

Rog

JonT
JonT's picture

Conveniently right before the easter BH weekend. I imagine the roads will be heaving with people desperate for a change of scenery.

I'll pop out 200 miles for a pint of milk in better times, so does that mean I can count most of England as "local"? 

StevehS3
StevehS3's picture

Has the definition of local changed since national lockdown?
From the .gov website: "Staying in your local area means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live." 
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home

JonT
JonT's picture

So Barnard Castle is still ok? Especially if you can't see properly?

john aston
john aston's picture

I must confess I am getting increasingly  tight lipped about some of the government controls and the unhealthy zeal applied by some agencies in  enforcing them .

We know that only one thing spreads the virus - close contact with other people , especially in confined spaces. That's it - not having a round of golf, a long bike ride , a good walk  or (my passion ) a day's fishing when I don't see a soul. But I can only do so 'locally' -which I  take to mean  my nearest bit of river , 15 minutes away . Even there, just the other day , I was challenged by some old bat demanding to know  where I was from - when I told her she conceded I was 'legal' . Good of her -maybe she's thinking of joining the North Korean border guard ?  

But I wanted to tell her to *** off and mind her own business. It doesn't matter a hoot how long I drive for , nor where I go , as long as I stay away from other people . I create less risk in doing that than by walking down to Tesco's .

Now I am not suggesting we all blat off for a Lands End -John O' Groats  jaunt just yet , but I see no reason at all why we can't start reintroducing some basic freedoms by allowing (allowing ! Jesus- who could have imagined  saying that a year ago ? ) trips ,   within a 50 - 100mile radius .    

JonT
JonT's picture

Quite. Can't think of many ways of getting more fresh air than an aeroscreen'd blat in a 7. Maybe wing walking? Rofl