The Alpine A110 thread

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Geoff Brown
Geoff Brown's picture

Jon T - thanks for starting this thread. All you have written has been confirmed from my research, even the windscreen problems though I was led to believe this only occurred on early models. There was also a welcome overdue important mod to do with engine bay cooling?

Just got to the point deciding on the test drive. Nearest dealer is Winchester, about 1 hour away. Found a few very low mileage used on line in THE colour. From what I saw there seems to be a lot of factory fresh stock available. Obviously not selling in these troubled times.

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Thanks Martin 

derek

JonT
JonT's picture

I too had thought the windscreen was only early models. I think there's a report of someone on the Alpine forum on their 3rd though. <shrug> they covered it and I hope have applied whatever mods were needed (the main reason I dragged it back to the dealer rather than just getting the local autoglass to do it on my insurance).

Not heard about an engine bay cooling mod, unless you mean something I've seen about people running some extra spacers under the rear screen when on track to improve airflow, or running without the internal engine cover (I'm not convinced on the latter - I wonder if it's actually designed to flow air through the engine and out the back). But I've not run mine on track yet. One of the St Albans demonstrators has/d (not sure if they've sold it yet) a lot of track miles and the salesman didn't mention any issues. 

Yes, considering how few cars make it to the UK (IIRC allocation is ~250 cars/year), there do seem to be a lot on Autotrader. I guess combination of folk bored after a year having ticked the box and ex demonstators that the dealers will be expected to turn over.

Geoff Brown
Geoff Brown's picture

I think the engine bay cooling mod was a software upgrade to do with the fan. But that was one of the very early mods subsequently fitted at the factory.

JonT
JonT's picture

Ah, fair enough. Certainly the fan often runs on for 10 mins or so after the ignition switches off. They did another software fix for something (injectors?) while it was in for the windscreen. 

tangomikeromeo
tangomikeromeo's picture

Thanks for the info. I'm 'only' 6"3' so should fit length wise and 34' waist (or 12 if that's how you think. How I know? Don't ask!) so width wise will be comfortable too.

A test drive is the logical next step but it does sound a slippery slope to start down. 

Martin J
Martin J's picture

Loads & loads of car tests on youtube. Probably my favorite car blogger is Jayemm, if you haven't seen, have a watch.

He was rather impressed especially with the ride on some awful roads. 

Martin J
Martin J's picture

Is the engine in the A110 a twin turbo unit? Some reviewers refer to it as. Does this reduce turbo lag?

JonT
JonT's picture

Not sure why, it's only a single turbo. Maybe it's twin scroll? Lag is definitely noticable, although less at higher RPMs as you'd expect, and nowhere near as bad as my old MR2 mk2 turbo. Peak torque is available from 2000rpm, so for instance you can boot it in 4th coming out of a 30 into an NSL and it will still pick up strongly, but with a bit of lag. From 2500rpm it's more sprightly and very strong above 3. Red line is IIRC 6800rpm-ish, although with the close ratios there's not much benefit going above 6.

I'm just back from a few days in the Borders enjoying some lovely roads again well suited to a car that rides so well, given the state of some of the roads Furious

Martin J
Martin J's picture

Thanks for the info Jon. 

Looks like I am getting a road test & also Mrs J as well I hope early September.  We have been invited to Hampton Court which is very nice of them Smile