1448 posts / 0 new
Last post
wild bill
wild bill's picture

Are all of those reported in the same way by all countries? If not then the statistic is meaningless surely?

Firstly they died within 28 days of a positive test not necessarily due to Covid though they obviously account for a large percentage but it's not recorded accurately enough IMO and we don't know how the other countries are measuring so whilst we might be the worst on the face of it we might not be the worst on an equally measured basis. Most stats are b**ll*cks. Its still a dreadful death rate however measured but in addition there's the number who would have died anyway within the same time frame. Government policy has been woeful though. Constant catch up rather than hard decisions early. Having said that i don't think any other UK government would have fared better.

More worrying is that the deaths in 2020 were 608000 compared to i think 1944 or 45  at 570000 and 1919 at 611000 so it's a pretty bad year by anyones standards. (see below post to prove my point about stats)

My brother (consultant physician ret'd) is pretty convinced that the NHS will be overwhelmed in the next 4 weeks in London and as he's 70 he says he's now hiding and he's pretty relaxed normally. Things are about to get worse for some areas others are seeing a fall in the rate.

I heard that so far 9/10 deaths are in the over 70's (that was ITV or BBC i think) is that right? 

wild bill
wild bill's picture

* These are questions for those who know more. I'm just asking

wild bill
wild bill's picture

To prove my point i didn't mention that whilst those total deaths are high (the 611k and 608k) they are meaningless unless you account for total pop which was about 40 mill in 1919 and is now nearly 68 million so you have to look at deaths per 1000

See what i mean? The news fails to be clear here and that's the point im trying to make (badly)

TomB

10% of that number have died since 1st January. 

Golf November 10
Golf November 10's picture

#1412, #1413,#1414, my thoughts exactly, but couldn't be arsed replying to #1411.

Stewart

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

"Firstly they died within 28 days of a positive test not necessarily due to Covid though they obviously account for a large percentage but it's not recorded accurately enough IMO and we don't know how the other countries are measuring so whilst we might be the worst on the face of it we might not be the worst on an equally measured basis."

The easiest statistic for comparison of death rates between countries is the excess deaths adjusted for population size. Many countries have reliable recording of deaths and this measure does not depend on clinical diagnoses or on any type of testing. There are some examples in #1405 above.

Where we do have measures based on clinical diagnoses and/or laboratory testing, for example in the UK, they agree very well with those for excess deaths despite using completely different data. This supports the reliability of both.

The UK isn't "the worst" but our death rate is much higher than that of some similar countries.

Jonathan

DougBaker
DougBaker's picture
Protect the vulnerable then let the virus rip through the younger generation to "protect the econmy" is this the governments current plan?

https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1349441046325981197?s=19

Not exactly an inspiring look ahead for the summer. Given the demographics of the Conservative vote it might not get too many complaints until it is too late.

1.6K Roadsport SV

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

To me it is quite simple ,,,,,we are right in the shit ,,and the only way out is to do as told ,,isolation masks ect ,,but you se ones on TV  they don't give a toss ,,,round them all up put on a deserted island ,,with a portaloo ,,and a pile of tents and sleeping bags ,,,cos I for one feel sorry for all the nurses and doctors who have to clean up,after all the prats who say o it's ok ,

derek

Golf Juliet Tango

I'm sorry if others here feel like a 15% increase in deaths year on year isn't shocking. Or am I misinterpreting your posts?

Wild Bill

I heard that so far 9/10 deaths are in the over 70's (that was ITV or BBC i think) is that right? 

You are not saying "So that's OK, then" are you? 

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

wild bill
wild bill's picture

GJT carefully read the post. At no point have i written anything to give the impression that any of it is OK.

Where is the 15% increase in deaths stat from and when you say year on year which years are we measuring? The death rate per capita was higher in 2000 at 10.4. Its risen steadily since 2011 but it fell from 10.4 in 2000 to 8.7 in 2011. it was 9.3 in 2018 I can't find a stat for 2020 and god knows what 2021 will be like. 

Sorry if you mis read my posts i did say i was trying to explain it badly!