Now what? Brexit content, you don't have to click this

1852 posts / 0 new
Last post
BMS7

Incredibly emotive topic.  

As someone who has no side to take or ax to grind, Gary, what are the facts from your side?

Bruce

garybee

Hi Bruce,

I don't see any need for the 'emotive' stance that a few have decided to take on this thread. 

If you're after facts from either side of the debate you'll be left wanting as the question is what's best for the nation long term.  Anyone who genuinely believes they have the definitive answer on that is arrogant beyond reason.  All we have is opinion on what is better, often presented as facts but it really isn't.

I've tried entering reasoned discussion about it and more often than not some childish muppett will ignore everything you've written and chime in to pounce on something that you've mistyped.  Sadly it's removed any chance of sensible conversation on the topic. 

If people ever bother to read through it, it now serves as a reminder of people's inability to act like decent people from behind a keyboard.  As if we needed a reminder of that Rofl

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

That’s bloody well told you old mate ,,,a change from me getting a telling of 

derek

garybee

Hi Derek,

Either I've misunderstood your comment or you've misunderstood mine, could be either *thumbup*.  I'm certainly not trying to 'tell Bruce off' though and hope he hasn't taken it that way.  I was just explaining why I haven't answered his (perfectly reasonable) question.

hope that clarifies

Gary

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Hi Gary ,,, sorry me as usual got the post wrong ,,,sorry,,, but don’t tell Bruce he’s an Aussie sitting in the lovely sunshine while we are hear freezing our nuts of ,,,,so give I’m hell

all the best 

Derek 

BMS7

Gary,

I have never believed that whoever yells loudest is correct. Frankly, emotive responses generally cloud the issues and rarely address them or answer the question. Imho. 

My Only firsthand experience around Brexit was on the day of the vote when I was in the UK by happenstance and was amazed at some of the responses to reporters at exit poll interviews. I asked you to give me the facts that support your views to help me gain some insight into the balance of the arguments. No more, no less. I am still keen to see those facts but respect your decision not to provide them. But I’d love to see them all the same. 

Bruce

Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

Brexiters have no facts, only emotions and beliefs.

BMS7

Maybe that is the answer. But if it is, would that not be true of both sides of the discussion as everyone is trying to predict the future. I am reminded about the disclaimer on all financial products, “past performance is not  a reliable indicator for future returns” ( or somesuch). Even fact based logic can fail when emotion is applied. 

Bruce

Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

True, my initial voting intention was based on the emotion "Am I on the same side as this piece of shit?"

It was only later that I did the work to find out the facts.

DougBaker
DougBaker's picture

The Global Britain argument for Brexit was that trade deals would allow us to increase trade outside the EU.

There is no predictive guesswork if you believe that is true to say that removing trade deals will reduce trade.

Of the top 15 countries we trade with only trade with the USA and China is not covered by trade deals through the EU. You just have to look at the numbers to see that small reductions in trade with the EU will never be made up for by new deals elsewhere.

There are a small minority of Brexiters who claim they always knew we would be poorer, but I don't believe the majority of Brexit voters believed that. It is certainly not what the Brexit cheerleaders told them to expect.