Now what? Brexit content, you don't have to click this

2541 posts / 0 new
Last post
aerobod
aerobod's picture

Ian, If you collect any information relating to the people you deal with in the EU (whether B2B or B2C) that information is subject to GDPR legislation. Whether it is considered operational information that is only relevant to the transaction or persists beyond the transaction determines what access and "right-to-be-forgotten" rules apply. There are also nuances around employee, vendor and consumer information and how it is handled.

Some North American companies I have dealt with deliberately block email and website access to their company to avoid any traffic from EU domains from communicating with them electronically, to prevent collection of info from EU residents as far as possible and de-scope GDPR compliance, but it is far from a foolproof strategy.

If you keep anything as simple as contact info on EU residents, you have to comply with GDPR, no matter where in the world you are based.

Not doing business with any EU residents is the only sure way of not having to comply with GDPR legislation, but at this point the UK has continued to adopt GDPR for privacy compliance (to maintain equivalency), so doing business with UK and EU residents requires GDPR compliance.

James

abbot
abbot's picture

There is still a lot of sensationalising going on which boils my piss.  The Times ran a piece about a case study of Bill shipping some fish to Europe.  It described 26 steps that were now required in great sensational style.  There were a whole load of new  points that would be required to be set up as a one off and then loads of tedious stuff.  It was written as though it was the end of the world but in my experience there was probably only 4 actions that you could consider bieng additional pain due to Brexit.

Macron is very clear with his aim of a European Superstate.

aerobod
aerobod's picture

People will have to get used to the complexities of ordering between the EU and UK, even though tariffs will not be applied. This should not be a surprise to those who also have ordered goods from other parts of the world in the past, even if there is also a trade deal in place: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/07/customers-europe-hit-by-post-brexit-charges-buying-from-uk

The new mould of cross border ordering from the UK to EU and vice versa, will likely be similar to the parts I recently ordered from the UK to Canada (Canada has tariff free agreements with both the UK and EU for goods that are originating in the same jurisdiction):

Caterham order ex VAT £473.42, £62.50 Fedex shipping for 1.5kg parcel to Canada, of which about £20 of that cost will be for their customs brokering and paper work. Caterham handling charge for their customs paperwork £12.50 - total £548.42 (CAD$981.17 charged to credit card, of which $846.99 is for the parts, $134.18 for shipping and handling)

VAT saved compared with UK consumer - £109.68

Once the parcel is shipped, a Fedex automated message is received to indicate any Canadian taxes and duties that need to be paid, before Fedex will put the shipment on the delivery vehicle. In this case there is 5% GST sales tax (our equivalent to VAT in Canada) and potentially some Canadian paperwork charges, on the CAD$953.21 declared customs value is $47.66 of GST and customs/admin charges of $10.50

Caterham send about 10 copies of the shipment manifest with the product, of which 6 arrive in the documents sleeve on the box unused.

Overall on a $846.99 value shipment, the total admin charges along the line add up to $68.65, or 8.1% of the parts value.

The customs process works quite well between the UK and Canada, so there wasn't any delay in the shipment due to processing, I received the package the day after it was shipped by Caterham.

James

Golf Juliet Tango
There may be a new apogee for irony.
Leave.EU leaves Britain after Brexit. Eurosceptic campaign group founded by Arron Banks is now registered in Ireland

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

DougBaker
DougBaker's picture

Nothing to see here just some remainer complaining, probably.

The Telegraph - The Tories have betrayed Northern Ireland with their Brexit deal

To get past the paywall reload the page and hit Esc a few times.

1.6K Roadsport SV

Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

If only someone had warned them.

Golf Juliet Tango
Obviously, one week in, it is too early to tell how things will really shake out but there is a lot of unhappiness from the Scottish fishing industry (obviously I am including farmed salmon & oysters in this category, even if they are not "fished" in the usual understanding of the term).

It is also getting a bit areated over Northern Ireland with the term "betrayal" used. I don't know what the DUP expected.

Stephen

Golf Juliet Tango

Priorities eh?

Brexit: Fisheries minister did not read deal as she was ‘very busy organising local Nativity trail’

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/uk-politics/2810566/fisheries-minister/

Stephen

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Hi Stephen,,when we go to Scotland each year ,,I seem to live on sea food ,,and occasional scotch whiskey,,sea food is great ,,salmon ,mussels ,prawns ,,tried longastines last time found them bloody expensive,,not worth the money ,

last time up there met aussie Bruce stayed at ,nice place on NC run ,in sheildaig,,great spot only problem the midges seemed to love Aussie flesh ,,so attacked Bruce ,we been up there few times ,think it depends a lot on time and climate,, for the mosies ,been lucky so far ,,but great company ,it was Kay's birthday ,that day so Bruce paid for the meal ,,,good on him many thanks Bruce ,,,I had fish ,,Kay Bruce steak ,,not cheap but very good ,(thanks pal Kay's birthday the fourth ,,,Bruce the fifth , so my treat next time ,, one to Iom ,,kipper baps ,,,) ,but next day he was of back to Aussie ,,we went 250 mile to god nows were for night , in torrential rain ,,lucky put full hood up ,on way back to lakes for couple nights before going back to IOm ,,(I think I seem to be a very proud born and bread Yorkshire  man ,,but loves Scotland ,,,yes true ,,dad served with scottish black watch ,,landed on sword beach ,,,you bloody lot very lucky he was one of the lucky ones who returned , or you would not have all the knowledge,,I pass onto you )

if any of you go up there on the NC 500 run ,,,call In at the Kyle kylsku hotel ,,not cheap to stay there but got to be one of the best spots in Scotland,,,mussels ,,with cream ,wine and crusty bread is to die for ,,

think I should be the Yorkshire,,envoy to the tourist ,board in Scotland 

Why go abroad ,,yes poss weather Better but Scotland  is magic ,,,

appart from the bloody Germans AAAH TISS    A. MOGAN ,, 

I put them right 

sorry if I went of on one 

Derek

Tony Whitley
Tony Whitley's picture

Mr Johnson responded: “Well, we’re putting £100 million into supporting the fishing industry in Scotland and across the whole of the UK.

Why are they doing that when Brexit brings nothing but unalloyed benefits, to the fishing industry in particular?