9 posts / 0 new
Last post
TANGO7
TANGO7's picture
Secret Kingdom 500

Is anyone aware of the above? It’s a route through Northumberland, Cumbria and Durham. I live in the North East and was unaware of it until I came across a reference to it in the local press. There is a Website and Facebook page.

john aston
john aston's picture

Oh God not another named route . It amazes me  that it takes a PR campaign before many drivers will dare to explore a new route. Then it becomes a box ticking exercise for the masses , who can destroy most of the appeal the route had in the first place. I could weep when I hear how busy and litter strewn Sutherland and Wester Ross are becoming after the NC 500 went from a relatively private  pleasure  to n over exploited horror story. 

There's loads of great drives in the North Pennines and Borders ,and they don't need a name - ten minutes with a map is enough .

ETA to add - pm me if you need some ideas 

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

You tell em John 

derek 

JonT
JonT's picture

Agree with John fully, but can't even find a route map for it, so they're doing a good job of keeping it secret Rofl

TANGO7
TANGO7's picture

Heck - that's a bit of an unexpected reaction. I'm not advocating the route, but intrigued living in the area and not having heard of it. Also thought it might be of interest to the Seven Community, who I would hope would use it in an appropriate and respectful manner.

(Incidentally it does surprise me how many people either can't, or choose not to use maps, relying on sat navs etc.  So designated routes like this may be of help to them. Also, thanks for the offer, John, but I am quite happy to plan my own routes and have plenty of ideas).

JonT - if you are interested the route is on the website. 

Keeny
Keeny's picture

Thanks for the post and information Saundersian

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Bit of look may make our next NC 500 ,little more quieter ,,poss Scottish tourist board which is promoting it ,,to get a lot out of Scotland 

derek

JonT
JonT's picture

Ah, I couldn't find the map yesterday, maybe it's only just gone live. A few new roads I haven't used I might have to try, but fortunately they've missed a lot of good ones.

For anyone trying it in a Caterham, note the section into Kielder is on the forest track. The B6357 from Bonchester Bridge to Kielder is a bloody brilliant road though (as is the main road around Kielder itself).

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Watch out watch out ,,,the noddy men will be about ,,,,,rubbing there hands thinking ,it's near xmas need some funds for the party 

Derek