The Taffia Fish & Chip Run is back – on Saturday 18th September 2021

156 posts / 0 new
Last post
Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

Hi Andrew ,,glad you enjoyed the trip ,,wish I could have gone but ,not able ,,but Mark and Trudy represented the IOM ,,,

now when you do the write up can you let us no one important fact ,,,how were the fish and chips ,,,were they as good as Yorkshire fish and chips ,,plus what order does the salt and vinegar go on ,plus do you get a nice pickled onion 

Derek

tim holyoake
tim holyoake's picture

Hi Andrew,

I was a first timer on the F&C run on Saturday. It was my 3rd attempt to attend - May 2020 was of course missed due to the pandemic, with May 2019 cancelled late on as my wife was diagnosed with late stage ovarian cancer. Thanks to the care and skill of the clinicians at Royal Derby Hospital she's made an excellent recovery since.

I arrived the evening before the event, staying at the Wild Hare (Royal George) in Tintern - the scene of my wedding reception some 33 years previously! The non-motorway route I followed from Derby was the one I used in the 80s when visiting my wife to be in Chepstow - a great nostalgia trip. Tintern Abbey was worth every penny of the £5.50 admission charge to explore on what was a very pleasant Friday afternoon. After a good night's sleep, I bumped into two other couples just before breakfast who had also chosen the Wild Hare for their overnight stay - it was great to meet you and I hope you had as much fun on Saturday as I did.

The sheer number of cars at the Piercefield just after 9am was astounding, and it was great to wander around and stare before the excellent briefing - and the off! Not being the world's quickest driver (especially on roads I don't know) I waited around until near the end of the queue. If I held anyone up too much along the way I apologise - I did pull over a few times to try to let more enthusiastic drivers past.

I had no great dramas on the route to Aberdyfi. There was a sheep or three in the road at places, but wisely they didn't venture too close to me. My satnav pre-loaded with the blatmaps route worked perfectly for once (a big thank you to whoever put this together as it almost certainly saved me a lot of angst on the journey).

It took longer to find a parking space than it did to queue for fish and chips (!), but I certainly wasn't in a hurry by then. Much to the disappointment of a couple of hungry looking seagulls they didn't get anywhere near them as I sat eating, looking out over the estuary. It was brilliant to see so many people enjoying their day out in Aberdyfi after the last 18 months.

Afterwards I spent a couple of days in Snowdonia rediscovering my childhood holiday haunts around Portmadog with an obligatory stop at Portmerion (hello to the owner of the blue 420 who arrived there just as I was leaving). I returned home on Monday via Powis Castle - absolutely stunning.

With the exception of about 10 minutes in Portmadog when the heavens opened and my 7 turned into a bucket, the weather was perfect for such a trip. However, this experience has taught me that you can never pack too many microfibre cloths, towels and glass cleaner. I covered 582 miles over the four days - and every one of them felt worthwhile.

If I can ever persuade my video editing software to finish it's job, I'll post some highlight clips up somewhere - just in case anyone wants to watch their overtakes back!

Looking forward to the next time.

Tim (C7 GNU).

Ready for the off

Wise sheep   

One of many, many overtakes ...

Gnu finally snags a space in the car park!

The morning after - all soggy in Portmadog

Nick Bassett
Nick Bassett's picture

Great write up Tim - glad you enjoyed yourself.

We were parked next to you in the Piercefield and spoke briefly - you can just see my car to the left in your first pic.

Definitely an event to attend again Thumb Up

Bolter, bolter, full power...

Superlight R # 81

DerekH
DerekH's picture

Hi Tim,

That was my son and I leaving in front of you in you first picture.

Firecracker yellow 270S SV.   We too are thinking of making a longer trip around the next one.

DerekH

tim holyoake
tim holyoake's picture

Hi Nick,

Nice to have met you and seen you charging off into the distance ahead of me!!

Tim.

tim holyoake
tim holyoake's picture

Hi Derek,

Making a long weekend of it certainly helped me enjoy the event even more than I expected (and my expectations were already high!) - especially after having shielded away at home for so much of the previous 18 months.

Tim.

DerekH
DerekH's picture

Hi Tim,

I've enjoyed a few blats with my local area meets, but the F&C run was something else.

My son and I shared the driving and we completed 520 miles in the day, my friend Malcomb drove all day on his own from Hertfordshire.

Going out on a local area blat on Sunday at 43 miles and thinking that is a bit short, expectations have been reset.

Fantastic little cars and a great club with nice people.  Hope to see you out on another event sometime.

DerekH

CtrMint
CtrMint's picture

anyone that's interested, here's my blog, sadly wasn't the best of years.  Looking forward to 2022  Clap

https://www.caterham7diaries.com/post/lotus-7-club-taffia-fish-chip-run-2021

Caterham 420R S3 Lotus Toxic Green,  Caterham 620R S3 Exocet Red. Blog: https://www.caterham7diaries.com
og22

Some photos for you gents. It was a great day, temperature just right, so many sevens about you don't get tired at looking at them, and loved that you would find random pockets of sevens parked on the side that you can simply join to relax and chat with all the friendly owners. Routing was all great with Brecon and Staylittle being my favs, it was a 3 hour and 30 min route, passed in a flash!

Nick Bassett
Nick Bassett's picture

og22 - glad you had a great time - respect to you and your new bride for honeymooning in the 7!

We were parked up with you in that second pic - a the time I didn't get a chance to say congratulations - too much going on. So, a belated congratulations to you both. Thumb Up

Bolter, bolter, full power...

Superlight R # 81