UK to ban petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2040?

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
Grandmaster Flatcap
Grandmaster Flatcap's picture
UK to ban petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2040?
Golf Juliet Tango

Does this conflict with Chris Grayling's announcement on Friday that he was abandoning the electrification of many railway lines and ordering diesel (diseasel) engines for the yet to be delivered trains?

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

Harry Flatters
Harry Flatters's picture

I do hope Caterham have the courage to just pull down the shutters and spare us the ignominy of a Seven that sounds like a Dyson. It's just wrong!

john aston
john aston's picture

I'd take it with a large pinch of salt. Lofty announcements from government rarely ,if ever, come to fruition in the form so grandly announced , or often at all. I don't care what my daily driver is powered by - it is the freedom of movement that is vital , not the means by which it is  provided. Doubtless Pistonheads and similar websites will explode with outrage from those who think it should be compulsory to drive decatted 6 litre petrol V8s but I can't get over excited at this stage  .

I actually agree with James May about petrol's future ;  let's drive leccy and hydrogen etc cars in a cleaner future but let's keep petrol for non mainstream recreational use like ours. As I said before , using horses to get from A to B went out of fashion nearly a century ago but riding  horses for fun has become a huge thing.

Leccy Seven ? I don't have any problem with that if it's good to drive. People will throw in all sorts of reasons why it won't be (but don't try range anxiety- I have that already thanks ) but I'd suggest that even if electric cars were lighter, cheaper  and had  three times the range there'd still be a visceral objection . Doubtless Gove and his pals will be getting death threats from Harley Davidson , AMG and Monaro owners  this very minute ...

TomB
Hopefully we'll still be able to readily buy jungle juice for our toy cars, and petrol stations won't become like the black smiths of yore
The_ASH

Does this mean that at car meets everyone's going to be talking KW's per KG? I suppose the Caterham model number thing kind of vaguely still works if you derive it from Kilowatts per thousand KG... not. The Seven will I'm sure evolve to fit in by using a kit of parts from a site like this. I think it's interesting that this 2040 ban includes hybrid's as well, is buying Petrol or Diesel going to be as hard by 2050 as buying 5 star petrol is now? Rather glad I'll probably have stopped driving by then... anyone care to speculate what kind of affair the Seven's 100th birthday event will be?

Roger Ford

Does this mean that at car meets everyone's going to be talking KW's per KG?

KW and horsepower measure the same thing - it's just one's a bit like using furlongs instead of meters.

Engines are often quoted in KW in more enlightened countries, and there's no reason you can't quote electric motors in horsepower if that's your thing.

The_ASH

Oh indeed, I changed many an ABB drive motor some years ago, I was just trying to generate some amusement out of something I don't really find very amusing at all, it just sounds like more cost to me.

I do like those kits that use a clutch, only closely been shown home brewed stuck in gear converted cars before, not going to reach for the cheque book and junk the K just yet though. Does anyone make a Rover pattern adapter plate?

edit: I wonder if Shell have patented E-Power for when their filling stations become charging points... obviously their brand of electric will be cleaner and maintain your cars circuitry better than any other suppliers outlets.

Mechanical Moz
So will we be paying duty on electricity or will road pricing be introduced? The lost revenue from fuel duty & VAT will have to be found from somewhere.
Blue7
Blue7's picture

I don't recall seeing any reference to this proposal in the Tory manifesto but hardly surprising I suppose.  No mention of HGV's or motorcycles so we will still require petrol stations for a transition period at least.  I can't get too excited about it because by 2040 I will probably be fully electrified with hearing aid, pacemaker and a wheelchair complete with frog-eye headlights. 

Roger Ford

I don't recall seeing any reference to this proposal in the Tory manifesto

They went to court to avoid publishing the plan before the election.

It's only new cars sold after 2040, there will be legacy petrol / diesel vehicles around for at least another 20 years after that. By 2060 they might be looking to phase out petrol stations, but I can't imagine that's a concern for too many of us.