UK to ban petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2040?

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
john aston
john aston's picture

Yes, we have far to many people ; but its possible solutions are political dynamite and take us uncomfortably close to eugenics and similar nasties. The only way forward is education , and the promotion of freedom of choice by women. Problem is, the US is swinging back to pro lifers and our government  is deciding to reduce foreign aid  (always a vote pleaser among blue rinse Tories) and instead to spend loads on toys for the military (if far more useful ones than aircraft carriers ) . Foreign aid  has often been misused , of course , but that is not an argument to cease giving it , but to apply it better. 

But overpopulation , even if its soluble, will take decades - and its existence as a problem is not a justification for not pursuing an electric future. 

. But what do I know - I eat kale , occasionally read the Guardian  even if I am too old to be a snowflake. .. I'm even old enough to recall a time when we listened to other people's views rather than directing  a string of abuse at them for  daring to think differently . 

Golf Juliet Tango

Quite right John. Identifying the major problem doesn't offer a solution, I admit that.

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

Colin Cooper
Colin Cooper's picture

Nobody has mentioned the population explosion just around the corner, caused by being locked indoors for weeks.

Geoff Brown
Geoff Brown's picture

Has any one of a certain age ever watched the sci fi movie Solyent Green with Charlton Heston in the starring role?

This is the scary solution to overpopulation & feeding the billions.

ScottR400D

#102/3 I agree with all that. We can’t wait for the population to stabilise and decrease; it may be too late in any case. 

We do all need to consider where we are and do what we can to play some part however small and we need to globally invest in sustainability. 

It certainly is a political hot spud but that’s no reason to avoid it (in my view, probably not the average politicians’s!) and whilst I would not in any way suggest eugenics, euthanasia or any other horrors beginning with eu..., I do question the wisdom in actively investing in ways to increase the population and medical research aimed at prolonging life beyond what’s at all reasonable. 

john aston
john aston's picture

Well, we all say that - at least we do until it's our own , or a family member's life . Whistle

Golf November 10
Golf November 10's picture

Is Covid 19 just natures way of putting the brakes on the population explosion?

Derek Batty
Derek Batty's picture

If you were religious,,,you would say it's him up there ,,saying I bloody told you lot to behave ,,,,as long as he does not infect grape growing to stop my wine 

Derek

ScottR400D

#107. Do we all say that? I don't think so, though it's a belief of mine. And having seen the way elderly relatives and friends have been artificially kept going long after any quality of life or awareness has passed, I have no reason to change that belief.

#108 Not very effective if it is. Doesn't look like there'll be more than 2M deaths from Covid, from a population nearing 8B. This year so far there have been over 125M births. 

#109 If you were religious Derek, an event like this might have you questioning the existence of whichever sky fairy you believe in. Again. 

StevehS3
StevehS3's picture

#107 I don't know anyone that says that - in fact quite the opposite.