UK to ban petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2040?

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
strongy
strongy's picture

On the plus side - will that mean fewer caravans being towed on the road?

Colin Cooper
Colin Cooper's picture

Caravans? With the vastly more powerful tow vehicles this is not an issue. Horse boxes (and vans) are now my number one hate.

But to get back to the issue in hand. What about crossing the Sahara, the outbacks of Mongolia, ect. Yes, we are ok in native suburbia, but there are loads out there that don't have the luxuries that we take for granted. 

2040. Dream on.

Grandmaster Flatcap
Grandmaster Flatcap's picture

The electric car revolution will leave many behind

Piece from the FT re impact on the workforce implications. 

Ham fisted idiot in a cramped garage

TomB
Paywall...
elie boone
Norway and Holland, by 2025 // Germany by 2030 // Flanders by 2035 // France and the UK by 2040
Blue7
Blue7's picture

All may not be lost just yet, the lightweight nature of the 7 is ideal for battery power so maybe Geely with Volvo & Lotus R&D expertise, will see the potential, make a successful bid for Caterham and return a rebranded car to it's original name which would stop all the arguments about changing the Club's name Biglaugh

Golf Juliet Tango

No reference yet to the launch scheduled for September of Tesla's electric artic? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-39596833

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

john aston
john aston's picture

Wringing hands - what about enough 'leccy,we're all doomed etc. Err- anybody care to reflect on the fact that , how can I put it?, this oil stuff is finite and it's not if we run out it's when . Lots now and lots in the future - but just for once , can't humankind act with some foresight ?    Of course there's big problems to solve , but as only just over a century ago our flight was at sub Icarus level  I think we'll find a way .  

Blue7
Blue7's picture

Calm doon JA ... I've been hein a word wi' the twa fish Salmon a' Sturgeon an' we Scots will be haein anither indyref based this time on retaining the IC engine in Scotland.  Initial research suggests that Outer Hebs., Orkney, Shetland, Aberdeenshire, Moray and Highlands will declare independence from the rest of Scotland and promote / encourage IC engines until their natural demise when oor oil runs oot.  As a weil kent face you will always be allowed to travel north of the border (even further north in the future), free of toll charges.

All things come to an end eventually, we all accept that because life constantly changes and evolves.  Read any Motoring Mags and they are full of articles about E cars of the future.  The key is that it happens naturally and we could have done without the dictatorial statement by a certain Mr Gove aka Mr Bean.

Nae hand wringing here, I'll be pounding the Heilin' roads until either the oil or my pension runs oot Biglaugh

ChrisC

So EV West do a Duratec adaptor anyone going to try a conversion?   I am guessing the all up weight will be the problem.