Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wanted - 1400 SuperSport or Suzuki 160

The_ASH

As above tentatively looking for a 1400 SuperSport... with perhaps an eye to going back to my 7 owning roots.

Needs to be a pre-97 non-cat kit built car with under dash hand brake (a vin beginning SDKRDK). Preferably cycle wings but clams considered also ideally post-93 with rear facing plastic or forward facing cast ally intake plenum. And not an ex-racer, don’t fancy one with a dry sump although with Apollo tank would be nice.

Will look at anything from concours to basket cases, not fussed if I have to take it completely to bits as long as asking price reflects that.

Maybe you know of one languishing unloved buried in a garage somewhere that someone wants to part with.

SuperSport cars preferred but those with standard non-SS 105hp engine & ecu considered.

I have all Winter to look so will bring this post back to the top occasionally if nothing turns up.

Either reply to me below or PM via club mail system.

Makes things a little simpler with emissions at MOT time (another hoop less to jump through and no cat to get old and tired) and if I should go completely mad and fit a Duratec (or any other engine) the emissions thing helps there too as it’s pre-97, so 3.5% CO & vis smoke.

• 3 months later...

Long story but the 3rd Seven I owned was one of those, the first was a standard SS not an LE, of the two I actually preferred the standard one, felt more powerful, went better and the 5 speed was better for distance cruising, theoretically they command less of a premium as well ...arguably. Of course, I know there are pro’s and con’s allied to both cars.

Another long story but had 2 of those as well and again I prefer the 1400 SS over the standard or SS 1600. Love the zingy 1400 engine’s pickup that the 1600 loses a little and the 1800 moreso as the stroke, bore and cc’s get bigger. Imagine how revvy and sharp the ultra rare 1100K 16V would be SuperSported and in a Seven.

Also not the most important issue but a 1400 is cheaper to tax, the first one always felt so good like it was incorrectly banded, like you were getting away with some kind of tax evasion. Seemed at the time to epitomise the old Blatchat smiley sticker that adorned so many cars back then *biglaugh* <like that but it was the car that was animated not the smiley.

Ian - The most galling bit of all this is there was the ideal car (I didn’t know i wanted one then) for sale locally to me, was for sale for a while, sold just before I sold my last car, 1400SS tb’s apollo 5spd etc kind of ultimate road spec. A bit like trains, busses or taxis there’s never one around when you want one.

I might at a push settle for a Suzuki 160 but again there’s none at the right price Millwood had one (sensibly priced), Caterham have several but to me they seem £1.5 to £2k over priced. At the risk of upsetting a few people the 160 seems like the ‘new’ VX 8V value and hierarchy wise. Somehow a 1400 SS seems a safer bet long term and better value... the more sensible better judged option.

I've had my 1994 1.4 Supersport 6 speed for 18 months. It's my first Caterham, for me it's ideal. I'm not interested in track days, drifting or sprinting. It really comes into its own on A and B roads, just enough power for enjoyable, uncomplicated driving. apart from when the roads are gritted I use it in most weather conditions. Sorry ASH she's not for sale.