Wanted Smaller / Noisier Silencer for R300/400K System

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
revilla
Wanted Smaller / Noisier Silencer for R300/400K System

As I don't track my car and I'm a bit of a child / hooligan at heart, I'm looking for something a bit louder than my current 6" silencer can.

Maybe something like a 4" can in decent condition that will either fit my existing catalyst or decat pipe, or could be modified to do so with a bit of welding.

Current silencer inlet pipe is slightly angled as shown in the picture below. Inlet pipe OD is 2.3/8" and ID is 2.1/4". Can is 6" diameter and length 70cm, and the total length from the rear mounting bolt to the front of the inlet pipe is approx. 85cm.

Let me know if you have anything interesting please!

Looking for a straight purchase, not looking for a swap as I want to keep the existing silencer as well.

Thanks,

Andrew

Marketplace

Wanted
SM25T
SM25T's picture
Hooligan :-)
7 wonders of th...
revilla

Thanks for the heads-up but unfortunately I don't think those systems are going to fit. The can looks too long. The front mount bracket is welded to the side of the can and the inlet pipe then protrudes quite a long way forward from that.

On my current system I've been unable to use the front mount as the can stops well short of it; as you can see from this picture, the mount hole in the chassis (which I've blanked off with a stainless bolt) pretty much aligns with the joint between the decat pipe the inlet pipe of the silencer.

(I know a fabricator could make up a mount that would reach, I'm just making the point that the layout looks quite different and my existing cat / decat pipe reach right back to the front mount position and are going to extend too far back to fit those cans behind).

SV VVC 170 - 170.4 bhp @ 7100 rpm - 142.4 ft.lb. @ 4900 rpm

7 wonders of th...

i tried goggling the part numbers first but this inconclusive, long shot but thought the one looked like an early K, though there have been many variants over the years...

you could make yours repackable and simply remove some of the material... Blah 

revilla

I think maybe something like this might be OK but I'm only going from the picture and I haven't been able to check the measurements:

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/silencers/1083-exhaust-silencer-side-exit-non-catalyst-4-diameter.html?search_query=Silencer+rover&results=272

elie boone
revilla

Thanks Elie, I hadn't really thought about making one up from universal parts but it's an idea. I had a bit of a search on eBay and found some that are probably a bit closer - 2.25" inlet pipe and 26" (66cm) length.

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clamp-on-4-x-2-25-x26-Silencer-Back-Box-Reson...

They come with clamp-on ends; at that price I can get one, clamp it in place of the existing silencer and get a reasonable idea of how it might sound. It will sit all wrongly and need supporting at the back but if I like it then I can get a fabricator to make it up with an angled inlet pipe, an angled tailpipe and a rear mount.

If it needs a bit more space either end to fit the bends they are also easily available in slightly shorter lengths - 24", 22" and 20" (as in your link).

blueyedbiker
blueyedbiker's picture

Sorry to piss on the bonfire chaps but there's enough people out there trying to keep our cars off the road as it is, is it wise to give them more ammunition in the form of increased decibels?  As a biker there's nothing that pisses me off more than the clowns who take the baffles out off the cans so that you can hear them half a mile away as they pull 18,000 rpm.

revilla

I know what you mean.

I'm not looking for "stupidly loud" and I know I need to drive considerately. As Ks go mine towards the quieter end at the moment (VVC on a plenum, no induction noise, much reduced overlap unless you really boot it). I'm only looking to liven it up a bit within the usual spectrum. I don't track the car, it's only for road use and I guess for me the noises and smells are all part of the thrill of the experience. I don't drive the car particularly hard (I'm usually shifting up by 6000rpm as the VVC is mapped and the cam timing has been tweaked to out all the torque lower down for road use), I'm no driving God, I'm not getting my thrills from hanging it off the limits on every corner, I'm running T1R tyres that slide at much lower G levels than sticky rubber. I just enjoy being out in the car and the "theatre" of it, for want of a better word.

I've spoken to Chris at Redline. He can get the proper Caterham part for me, but with a few weeks lead time (I think they're made to order). That's no problem as the car is off the road for the winter now. I'll probably order it later to be ready for the spring if I don't find anything used before then.

What I will do in the meantime is order a cheapish universal silencer of the same dimensions and just bolt that on to the car to see how it sounds, to get a rough idea of where it might end up. If it really is unsociable, I'll give it a miss.

elie boone

A Duratec R300 with a new Sigma peashooter can still passes a 98db noise limit. A K series 1.6 SS with a 20 year old std exhaust didn't.