19 posts / 0 new
Last post
sp16
sp16's picture
R888R v NS2R

Hi All... Thought I'd consult the collective wisdom of the group..

I'm running 14" wheels (which I'm happy to keep) but need some new tyres and I've narrowed the search down to R888R's or NS2R's.

Whats the general consensus of opinion on which way to go?

Thanks  

OldAndrewE
OldAndrewE's picture

What width tyre are you thinking of?

Andrew

1985 S3 1700 XFlow.  Undergoing full restoration

opplock
opplock's picture

I think the only width available in 14" is 185. 

#1 PM sent. 

OldAndrewE
OldAndrewE's picture

In that case the NS2R has a load rating of 86V XL Extra Load - maybe not that suitable for a Seven although I know others have used them

Andrew

1985 S3 1700 XFlow.  Undergoing full restoration

sp16
sp16's picture

I'm currently running 185/60/14. A much loved set of a-021's which need to be changed. 

timb2117
timb2117's picture

Hi I am running the 888's but 16' rims they are great on track days and can get a nice even heat into them on the faster places, have probably done about 8 track days and also use them on road and they are going well after about 10 months and 6000 kms. I suspect after another 10 months they will be well down to TWI's and need replacing, thats fine.

I guess it totally depends on your usage patterns and expectations. I tend to just be happy with whatever is under me and adjust driving to suit.  A mate suggested them who races a rx7 mazda on longer targa road courses and he finds them to be the best he's way more discerning (polite way fo saying fussy!) than me though.

paul_w

No experience of the Nankangs (so maybe this isn't helpful!) but I fitted the R888Rs last summer (185/60 13s) to my Sigma car and love them. Road use only but have had the chance to drive them very hard at times in France and North Wales. Loads of grip, progressive breakaway, seem perfect for the car to me. I was worried about them in the wet but in comparison to the normal treaded tyres I've used in the past (last being the CR322s) they don't seem any worse and possibly actually better on damp roads if it's not too cold. I find 7s need to be treated carefully in the wet anyway so even when caught in torrential rain in France the Toyos weren't too bad. The only time I've been wary of them was when forced to use them on damp roads in sub-zero temps when for the first few miles they weren't great, but again, I just drove accordingly. I doubt you'd regret getting a set.

56's picture

Hi, I have used both on track and road albeit in 13" size. On a dry track the NS2Rs were great and I marginally prefer them to the R888Rs. I found the stiffer sidewalls on the NS2Rs gave really good feel. Peak grip was similar between the two maybe just slightly better on the NS2Rs once they were fully up to temperature.

However -  the R888Rs are miles ahead when it comes to cold and wet performance. The NS2Rs took a good half a lap on track to get any decent grip out of them and therefore they never got up to working temperature on the road. Whereas the R888Rs are great from the moment you set off and surprisingly good in the wet too.

For me if you are using them on the road at all then the extra cost of the R888Rs is well worth it. If it's for (dry) track only then the Nankangs are great.

opplock
opplock's picture

I had 14" NS2Rs fitted on Saturday. Two outings since then, total 50 miles. So far very pleased. No noticable difference to AO21s, if anything smoother ride. Mostly B road and minor road usage, a couple of miles on dual carriageway, rock steady at indicated 90. 

Need to go out on a wet day of course. 

sp16
sp16's picture

thanks for the feed back...

what pressure are the R888R's running at?

7 wonders of th...

16-18 PSI cold.