Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1400 to 1800k series

davidbolam

ive got a 1400ss k series car which is fun but could do with more torque.

i was considering doing the mod where the bottom end is replace, injectors updated and original 1400 flywheel used.

is it possible to do a straight swap for a full 1800cc unit and plug in an 1800 ecu?

will the wiring be compatable? 

my current system is dry sumped and uses the bell housing oil tank. Will a new bellhousing need to be used if i chose to use a wet sump.

i only use the car on the road

Thanks

David

The key change for your suggestion is that the flywheel also needs to be from the 1.8 as the crank sensor patters. Differ between the 1.4 & 1.8. With the usual bottom end conversion, you keep all the ancillaries including the flywheel and ECU and put larger injectors in. 

I don't know about the bell housing, but if your putting a wet sump on, I think you could leave it. But if you sell all the dry sump stuff, you'll pay for a chuck of your new engine.

It will be compatible with your wiring if it's an older EU2 engine - but I don't think it's too difficult to modifying the wiring to accommodate it. 

Please can I first dibs on the dry sump pan *rofl* Seriously, I'd like a spare *thumbs_up_thumb*

I did this swap many years ago and I transferred the Supersport cams (which are warmer than the standard ones) from the 1.4 to the 1.8 (for a bit more power). That meant keeping the original MEMS (ECU) and that meant keeping the original flywheel (it's a straight swap). Using the original (EU2) cams means nothing else has to change either, though it I think it rules out going to coil packs instead of the distributor.

I did the same as Tony - *arrowup*  well Dave Andrews did it for me and I had the head uprated as well as forged pistons added with SS cams retained and added Pipercross verniers.

A really good upgrade and gives you all the low down umph that you don't get on the 1.4ss.

Never looked back since.