Click here if you are having website access problems ×

160 build manual

arthur rayner

Hi all

This is my first post.

I've just bought a 3000 mile 160 model with the Suzuki engine, marvellous machine for an old codger of 65!

I'd really like to get hold of an original build manual if possible, purely for interest. Any ideas please? Was it online or a hard copy, and if anyone has one, I'll gladly purchase it.

Out of interest, I first went for a spin in a Seven in 1976, I was 21 and much slimmer of course, Graham Nearn took me for a spin in his Holbay engined demo car...I couldn't afford one at the time!

Another request, if I may, having just joined, I'm awaiting first copy of Low Flying, are back issues available, particularly with articles on the 160?

Any ideas as to how many 160s were built? I recall the engine/gearbox from 25 years ago in a Cuppucino we had.

Arthur

• Leadership Team

Welcome on board Arthur and great choice of car!  I can't help with the build manual I'm afraid (hopefully someone else will!), but I can help with Lowflying.  Back copies of LF are generally available from the Club office, but we also have an online archive of past editions that is available here: http://lowflying.lotus7.club/lowflying/search.jsp

We have carried a number of stories on the the 160.  A couple of links are below but it appears that there is a key edition missing from the archive (April '14) which had a major article on the development of the car.  I'll see if I can get that sorted for you but in the meantime, if you could let me have your email address, I'll send you a scanned copy directly.  The following editions also have 160 content and I'll have a think later to see what other articles there are that may be of interest to you.

http://lowflying.lotus7.club/2014/2014_06_05_160.pdf

http://lowflying.lotus7.club/2014/2014_05_07_CTI.pdf

All the best and hope to see you at a Club event in your car when it's allowed again *byebye* 

• Leadership Team

Hello Arthur,

Welcome to the club. The there were a few of us that got quite enthusiastic building the 160 when it first came out.

I can send you an pdf version if you like (just send me a private message with your email address). I suspect that JK has already sorted it out for you though.

Regards

Simon

Thanks chaps, what a marvellous set of responses.

Ah, one more quick thing...the mirrors are attached to the side screens of course, and I've not checked other cars/photos etc, but which types of mirror do others fit, and to where (the windscreen support?) for when driving without the side screens?

regards

Arthur

• Area Representative
Hi Arthur

Welcome. Michael has already directed you go the archive & Simon has covered the missing article.

There have been several options on the mirrors front. Option 1 is Caterham Cars solution where a stud replaces the middle of the three screws which hold the windscreen to stanchion. The mirror fixes to the stud. This is a necessary solution to get a car through its IVA.

Option 2 is a clip on bracket, using the sidescreen hinges as fixings. There have been at least three versions produced by individual members. The latest oof these is by member "Eccles". I'll try to find a post for you to read.

I find driving without the sidescreens exhilarating but tiring as there is a lot of buffeting and recommend some circumaural ear defenders as the wind noise across the ear becomes painful.

Hi Arthur. Welcome to the club. Simon and I were building 160's at the same time and loved them dearly. Sounds like you have the build manual sorted and I take it you have a copy of the Seven Owners Manual where there is other info on the 160 but please feel free to PM me anytime if anything else comes to mind.

• Leadership Team

Arthur,

Re:  Mirrors.

I usually only put side screens on when my wife comes out, or I'm doing a particularly long journey involving motorways.

Different cars appear to have different degrees of buffeting for the occupants, when going without screens.  My old SV was dreadful for it, my current CSR isn't bad at all.

I had a conversation with Oxtead trimming, who do the side screens, about buffeting, and was told that it's nothing for caterham to be half an inch out on the location of one side of the windscreen versus the other.

I bought wind deflectors from Caterham, which have improved the buffeting, but only if I have the driver's side almost flat forward, almost in line with the windscreen.

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/windscreens-aeroscreens/150-wind-deflector-kit.html

The only way I can keep them forward is to insert a thin bit of wood between the hinges.

Anyway, the above leads on to mirrors.  I tried a set of mirrors I could bolt into the side of the windscreen, but stripped the thread after a few fittings and removals (to put the side screen back on for the missus), so I now use some classic looking chrome 'clip on' type, something like this.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demon-tweeks-quarter-light-clip-on-mirrors-249572/

There are several styles using this fitting and they're easy to fit and remove, clamping to the protruding lip on the windscreen stanchion. 

Remember that if you buy from Demon Tweeks, you get a club discount, here:

https://www.lotus7.club/membership/special-offers-members/demon-tweeks-discount

Good luck and welcome to the club.

• Leadership Team

Arthur, welcome from me also!

Alan, using heat you can create more of a bend in the lower section of the wind deflector which will push the main section outwards more ... if that makes sense!

Also I know from experience with a BMW R1200GS motorbike that raising the screen a little to allow air to pass underneath, thereby reducing the vacuum effect behind the screen can make a big difference, the adapter pieces used are called tobinators - Google them.  I have wondered whether allowing air to enter the area behind the screen either via a gap below the screen or via the heater access would make a difference to the vacuum and your sunglasses being dragged down your nose!

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Stu, yep, I do know what you mean about bending the bottom.  A local oppo has done it. 

For some reason I can't justify in the least, I think I want to have the option of having it forward or not, as I think it might get in the way when parked.  This, despite 14" of rear wheel arch and a bloody great chrome elbow warmer sticking far further out of the same side.  Stupid, I know, but if any of us were rational, would we own a 7?

Tobinators:  So are you proposing actually raising the complete windscreen, stanchion fittings, and all?  If so, what does that do for your weather gear?  And what about all that rain shooting in?

• Leadership Team

No, raising the windscreen would defeat the object of having one! My experience with a bike though is that the tobinators do work, all they're really doing though is allowing air in to reduce the negative pressure, therefore reducing the turbulence. Routing a positive air pressure to the central dash area would likely have a similar effect.

Stu.

Thanks all.

Will definitely look at the Demon Tweeks mirrors, they seem simple.

I'm spoilt for mirrors on my VW Transporter and wouldn't be without them, plus when I did an HGV 1 yonks back, side mirrors are/were invaluable. It astounds me when I see people driving these days with their mirrors folded in...presumably as they are scared of damaging them...the same people can't judge gaps to drive though with all their squeaking internal devices showing them how to be better drivers! Back in the early 70s my instructor always said use your mirrors as a cat uses its whiskers...it all works. I just think, 39thou to a mm, so a few mm either side, gets me through a gap..slight joke of course, but why do big SUVs (often driven by women) need the whole road, when a 6ft gap will allow your 5ft 6" car through...you can tell I'm a grumpy old mid 60s git!