22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kelly959
Kelly959's picture

Thanks. Yes lots of time on Google. Caterham themselves can't tell me the offset!  
I'm going to take it into a tyre place I know and ask them to tell me then I can start being more precise with what I want. 
given that I want it to be as narrow as possible to retain the same feel, I think the 14" diameter, 4x100PCD and Offset is likely to make it very difficult to source 

Wrightpayne
Wrightpayne's picture

You will be able to measure offset yourself. Just need a straight edge (piece of wood) and a ruler. Just google it - lots of 'how to's' on the internet.

It may even be stamped into the steel around the bolt holes.

Ian

simon_h
simon_h's picture

Standard steel wheels are Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo 

arthur rayner
arthur rayner's picture

Hi Simon

Are you saying that the standard steel wheels on a 160 are Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo? I'm trying to get a new steel wheel for a spare and apparently GP Sevens are saying that Caterham are unable to supply one. if so perhaps i can go this route?

Arthur

Wrightpayne
Wrightpayne's picture

If they are the ones ET39 - lots on ebay. Cheapest new Toyota rim is £33 in black. Bit different to £163 from caterham!!

I've looked at images of the two wheels, caterham and toyota and the pressing looks very similar.

simon_h
simon_h's picture

Arthur, check for yourself obviously but that was the wheel spec originally from memory. Scrapyard eBay would be worth a try

rkeywood

If that's the case then I've full set of 160 wheels sitting on my drive on a '58 plate Citroen C1! For the price that Caterham charge I'd throw the car in with a set of second hand wheels. 

I've bought new original Toyota wheels from Toyota Official Store on Ebay for £34 delivered. Crazily the identical C1 wheels are £65!. The wheels are stamped on the humps between the studs 4/2J x 14 H2 ET39. They are 4 x 100 PCD with 54mm centres. Only available in black

For the OP there's plenty of 5J alloy options for the Aygo/107/C1. Revolution seems a good shout (as suggested above) as the size / offset needed looks like it fall into their 4 spoke machine to fit sizes

Hope that helps

Wrightpayne
Wrightpayne's picture

Easy enough to spray / get powdercoated.

I looked at the 14" alloys on ebay for the Aygo et al and there are some quite nice wheels.

This one almost minilightesque...just need to check they fit!!

Chris and Kate
Chris and Kate's picture

I've looked all over the internet:

The problem is the wheel size 14 inch x 4.5J - 4x100 - 39ET or 5.0J is very unusual for alloys and, if you draw it out (I'm an engineer, I can't help but think like this), doesn't leave much room for the thicker spokes on alloys anyway.

Traditional Minilite wheels are much lower offset in the narrower sizes. I checked the sizes online for Minilite, Minator, JBW, Compomotive and Image and the offsets are all considerably less than the required ET39. Japan Racing make the JR19 but again ET values are very low.

This is the only Minilite style wheel that I think might fit - Watanabe. They make the 14-05 F8F (aluminium and magnesium versions). Standard Alu ET is 45 with lower values available to special order, the Mag version comes in ET40 which I guess is close enough. Assuming you want silver alloys you'll need to specify that as well which brings the total to £276 (Al) and £303 (Mag). Those figures are based on the manufactures website, I don't know what they'd cost after you pay for shipping or order through a UK distributor.

Volk Racing make the CE28N if you like a modern look. Personally I think Caterhams suite more traditional looking wheels but it fits.

Unfortunately they are also even more expensive than the Watanabes.

Chris and Kate

aerobod
aerobod's picture

For a 155/65-14 tyre, wheels up to a width of 5.5J can be used. A safe offset range should be from 35 to 42mm. The number of alloy wheels available that fall in that range goes up somewhat.

James