2003 R400 K-series air filter

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blackmamba
Blackmamba's picture
2003 R400 K-series air filter

Hi

Does anyone know the part no or have a link to a replacement standard air filter for the above? Car currently has an old Pipercross filter but I can't find a part no on it.

This will be for road use only so want some induction nose. Are there any alternatives that people use and how do they differ from the standard one (performance, noise etc)?

Thanks

TomB

Usual answer is to give Chris a call at Redline Components. Otherwise, I sent my old battered on for my SLR throttle bodies to ITG and they made me up a new one. 

timb2117
timb2117's picture

Hi blackmamba if you look at the above thread on techtalk about "loose slave cylinder"I posted a photo at the end of the thread showing my clutch master cylinder but it also included a good angle on my K&N - after much deliberation and trial and error I nudged in some silicone hose then extended it as far away from engine as I could with the bonus that you do get a good induction noise as in effect its just over your feet.

Sadly it is high in engine bay and towards the back = warm air but short of reversing the whole intake I could not get air in from front to get cold air never mind seems to run really well and is easily accessible for maintenance etc.

sforshaw
sforshaw's picture

Blackmamba - does your R400 have the Caterham rollerbarrel throttle bodies with a filter backplate that has two long slots at the bottom and 3 Dsuz fasteners at the top?

Stu.

Lotus Seven Club Leadership Team Member

The register for all numbered limited-edition Caterhams ....... www.thecaterhamregister.net ...... www.instagram.com/thecaterhamregister

Blackmamba
Blackmamba's picture

Thanks all for the feedback.

Hi Stu - Yes, that's the one.

sforshaw
sforshaw's picture

Do a Google search for Pipercross PX600 air filter, you should be able to work out which one you need. There's lots of suppliers, as far as I'm aware it's a standard part .... unless you want it branded Caterham instead of Pipercross!

Stu.

Lotus Seven Club Leadership Team Member

The register for all numbered limited-edition Caterhams ....... www.thecaterhamregister.net ...... www.instagram.com/thecaterhamregister

Markiebabes
Markiebabes's picture
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1623354695?_trksid=p2047675.m4096.l9055

R400 Superlight Full Cage Nitrons Aero "Happiness Is A Way Of Life Not A Destination" 

Blackmamba
Blackmamba's picture

Perfect, thanks guys. I wasn't sure if there was a specific part number but will check and get one ordered.

John Vine
John Vine's picture

Agree with #7.  The C603D is what I used to fit to my old 1.8K SS-R.

JV

Blackmamba
Blackmamba's picture

Hi

I received the new air filter today and looks to be exactly the same as the one that came off which is good. The 3 Dsuz fasteners line up perfectly and hold the filter securely. The black plastic tabs at the bottom of the filter don't fit the two long slots at the bottom of the backing plate though as they are parallel to the plate rather than at 90 degrees to it.

Is that how it is meant to be? It looks no different to before but intuitively I would have though the tabs on the filter or the slots on the backing plate should be a 90 degrees so they slot together.

Thanks

John Vine
John Vine's picture

The black plastic tabs at the bottom of the filter don't fit the two long slots at the bottom of the backing plate though as they are parallel to the plate rather than at 90 degrees to it.

I'm puzzled. That's how I'd imagine they should be.  Does your filter look like this?

First, align the filter so that those long black tabs slide into matching slots in the backplate, and then swivel the filter upwards to engage the Dzus fasteners.

Or have I misunderstood something?

JV