310R hesitation between 5,000 rpm and 6,000 rpm

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
GulfSeven
GulfSeven's picture
Yes they said it is quite common, although I didn't find anything searching Blatchat.

Tim.

Gulf Racing 310R

ScottR400D

I've not heard of that before. 

Presumably they're talking about engine vibration, if it was vibration from the chassis or road it wouldn't be at the same revs all the time, and it's hard to be see where enough vibration could come from the engine to do that. 

If that's what they say, they should know, but I'd want a full explanation of that, which might be of interest to Sigma owners on here. 

ScottR400D

There is a thread - IMMOBILISERS AND MISFIRES - CONNECTED ? from 2003! 

Turned out to be a broken PCB. 

Benton
Benton's picture

Since I'm currently having issues with my immobiliser (though it's a bit late now, since I've handed the problem off to Caterham), but just for better knowledge going forwards, does anyone know where roughly this relay hides under the scuttle?.
Update - it seems apparently the relay(s) are contained within the immobiliser unit as a whole

AG2728
AG2728's picture

Mine is a Duratec but I had exactly the same symptoms you describe - a misfire high up the rev range.

I changed all the usual suspects, plugs, coil packs etc but still the same.

My dealer couldn't diagnose it and said it was likely to be the imobiliser which they then modified.

Still no joy. Took it to Northampton Motorsport who put tested it on the dyno and it proved to be a failing throttle position sensor.

Andy

GulfSeven
GulfSeven's picture

TPS could have been an issue too - see below.

Tim.

Gulf Racing 310R

GulfSeven
GulfSeven's picture

I finally picked up the car from Williams today - I had to wait for a new windscreen and roll bar to be fitted (also under warranty) at the same time...

I gave it a good few tests on the way home, and I can confirm that the hesitation isn't there anymore - it accelerates smoothly all the way to the shift light now Thumbup

Apparently the TPS settings were all out too, so they've been reset to the factory settings. That's made a big improvement to driveability, so I can only assume the TPS settings were wrong when the car left the factory.

Tim.

Gulf Racing 310R

Benton
Benton's picture

That's good news!  
I'd love to know how much time/money Caterham spend having to fix stuff "under warranty" judging by what I read on BC and my own experience.

Tom_Arundel
Tom_Arundel's picture

That`s probably why they cost so much in the first place!