Click here if you are having website access problems ×

360 to 420 upgrade - some options I have found

356DNA

I have been looking into upgrading my 2016 mexican 180 duratec to the 210 specification.

Apologies if this has been covered before - a search was informative but didn't address this issue so far as I could see.

There are a couple of options. As I'm up in Scotland the usual route of going to the two steve's is more difficult...

Caterham do the kit for £2300 fitted but I see that my engine already has the upgraded valve springs and blue injectors. Having spoken to our local dealer they have reduced the price as all I need is the cams and reflashed ECU.

However, whilst getting my daily driver MOT'd I was speaking to the garage owner who has built several duratecs and he suggested I speak to SBD motorsport. They can provide equivalent cams with vernier pulleys and a new, unlocked ECU with a "210bhp" basemap. It would just require my local garage to fit and time the cams. The advantages of this option seem to be that SBDs basemap is reputedly better than the generic caterham one, it changes the car to throttle position sensor metering which again is reportedly a big improvement in relation to the duratec "lag" and finally allows me to go to my local rolling road to fine tune the map without having to travel to the south of England...

The SBD option seems sensible as it's a similar cost - can anyone see any disadvantage with my logic? My engine is not under warranty - so this is not relevant.

David.

David,

I don't think there are any disadvantages whatsoever - I think it's an eminently sensible route.  The only possible drawback is the factor that the car becomes non-Caterham spec which could be perceived as a drawback if you ever come to sell it.  Personally, my feeling is that not being tied to Caterham and their rather petty attitude about locking ECUs and what have you is a plus point and commands a resell bonus rather than a discount.

You mention that the SBD option is a similar cost - I'm slightly surprised by that - from Raceline (whom I'd recommend highly) cams, verniers and ECU would be about £1100 I think (probably plus VAT I suppose).

In short, I'd have no hesitation in following the SBD or other (non-Caterham) route ...

FWIW,

Adam

A Rover K series with aftermarket cams and a mapable emerald ECU would be a plus when selling. If the upgrade is from a reputable company and there is plenty of positive comments / reviews / information on the internet, then I’d go for which ever best fits your needs / available funds / mechanic location.

Its not like you’re fitting a diesel engine, which would present resale issues!

Regards

Ian

When i upgraded my 360r to 210bhp i also looked around but realised that the cost of a non Caterham upgrade wasnt going to be any less and wouldnt have a guarantee so plumped for Caterham in the end. As you mention, the later engines dont need injectors or springs and a small discount was achieved. The upgrade works well and the throttle response was improved albeit not perfect. My car is nearly new so getting the Caterham guarantee (and resale value) made sense in case i decided to sell it

Someone else on hear has had this upgrade and then later gone onto the two Steves for a remap (which uses throttle position) and reported an improvement in response and this is something i may consider doing in the future

Alternatively you could just try getting your 360 remapped if the throttle lag is the main issue. Whilst the 420 feels more urgent, the 360 doesnt feel much slower, they are both very fast

As someone who also lives in Scotland and gone through the upgrade process, I would suggest that SBD would be the most sensible route. Good support and advice (if you buy stuff) and generally well tested solutions. Although I do have some reservations about their in-house designs and engineering, they do the job. A new open ECU is worth every penny, although it may seem OTT at first, the freedom it gives you will increase the enjoyment you get from the car as  'upgradeitis' sets in. Keep your old ECU and bits to 'downgrade' if you ever wanted to, or a potential buyer wants you to. My own mapper is Troy at  Northampton Motorsport. There are places in Scotland that can do it (and I have used them) but you're on a different level with Northampton, and it's not that far to go.

Another option is Premier Power. Stuart will do a cam and ECU upgrade, mapped on a session at Northampton motorsport rolling road which gives more torque and BHP than a 420. ( circa 217 BHP). This is my plan in the next month or so on my 360 R.

Thanks for the pointers. I spoke to Raceline who can supply the OEM cams most cost effectively and SBD the ECU. 

As I researched it all I’m now leaning towards a DIY cam install and timing. Has anyone done this who can offer any advice?

I have found numerous resources re cam cap tightening / loosening sequence, valve clearances, cam follower replacement and timing the cams with a dial gauge and timing wheel. Any practical additional pointers? 

David.