Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R duratec silencer

Andy Mac

Hi guys

I have a 420R and find it a tad noisy, so suspect it's had the stuffing knocked out of it.

The standard silencer doesn't appear to be repackable (unless I need new glasses), so is there an easy way to make it repackable or am I looking at a replacement?

Cheers

How many miles have you done? My 2015 R400 has done 8000 odd and whilst noisy it's never occurred to me that it's noisier than it ever was. 

The back of the silencer is riveted and although messy, I believe you can drill the rivets out, remove the end and repack. 

Hi. Officially the car has only done 6k miles. Not absolutely sure that's genuine, but I drove 56 miles home today on and off the M3 and even with ear plugs, my ears were ringing! The 420 7 inch silencer has riveTs on the collar at the front of the silencer, so I suspect I'll have to weld nuts inside once the rivets are drilled out. Would be good to know if anyone else has done it. Cheers.

I think you'll find that the tube that runs through it is welded at both ends making it difficult to re-pack. The rivets are simply used as part of the assembly process.  It can be done by cutting and re-welding the tube, but buying a re-packable one is an easier option.

If you end up biting the bullet for a new silencer, I'd recommend a Raceco one. Quieter than the Caterham ones, lighter and likely around the same cost, plus they are re-packable. They can also be made to the exact same length as your original if you didn't wish to mess around with your Cat/Bypass pipe.

Speak to Mike Riley.