Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R fuel line blown off the pump when ignition turned on

rob spencer

• Support Team

I've been to Cadwell Park today and enjoyed myself this morning, but after lunch I tried to start the engine (420R duratec 2016) but it just kept spinning over. After some head scratching someone spotted petrol on the ground under the tank (don't tell Jonathan) and it turns out the pump had blown the black fuel pipe connector off of the white plastic pump/gauge unit located in the top of the tank.  I pushed it back in but it seems to be just a push fit with some white plastic lugs trying, and failing, to stop it from being blown out by the fuel pressure when turning on the ignition.  The engine fired easily.  I've had a good look and can't see anything broken around the black fuel line connector or the white "luggy" bit; it seems to be a poor design.  I'm concerned it will happen again when it's less convenient.  Is it poor design? Has anyone else suffered this problem?  Has anyone found a solution? Am I missing something?  All help gratefully received *smile*

The fuel fittings look to be standard ford parts (or their aftermarket equivalents) with a custom, but ford spec nylon fuel line, so should be OK. 

It may be that something prevented full insertion when built and it was just hanging on the locking ring rather than engaging behind it?

The catch part should go just beyond the raised lip on the pump spigot, so you could line the hose up next to the pump outlet and line up the catch with the lip so you can see if you are getting full insertion?

• Support Team

Bob, the tank fitting is female and the fuel line is male so sounds similar to yours and I think you are probably right about it just not being fully engaged.  It is a Ford sender/pump unit.  To be on the safe side, I'm going to try to replace the white plastic luggy bit that fits into the sender unit, and into which fits the fuel pipe.  The guys sourcing the luggy part are just trying to find out if it's part of the sender/pump unit or part of the fuel line terminal

It sounds like you have the wrong line for your pump and an adaptor has been added that isn't working well?

These are the pump and fuel line options from Caterham Parts:

Pre-2015 pump and line https://caterhamparts.co.uk/hoses/1176-fuel-pipe-pump-to-fuel-rail.html?search_query=fuel&results=144 and https://caterhamparts.co.uk/pumps-senders/3000-fuel-pump-module-sigma-suzuki.html?search_query=pump&results=65

And then a later one listed as for 485 https://caterhamparts.co.uk/pumps-senders/5501-fuel-pump-seven-485.html?search_query=pump&results=65 which looks to have the clip you describe? 

• Support Team

It's the 485 one that I have and yes, the clip is shown in the photo.  I don't want to spend £241 on a 50p clip though.  The garage I took it to to source the clip got nowhere with CC or Ford so the car's back with me now to sort it out.  To be fair to them, they haven't charged me anything for what they tried to do.

Looks like i'll have to hope it won't happen again now the fuel pipe end has been properly pushed in.

Hi Rob, if you have the 485 spec pump, then you should have the matching fuel line which has a male fitting and clip at the end,

Looks like this https://caterhamparts.co.uk/hoses/5502-assy-fuel-feed-pipe.html?search_query=485+fuel&results=232 is that the line that you have?

Dorman can supply some of the quick connect clips for fuel lines, do you have a picture of the offending clip? There are a few to choose from, but they are not massively expensive if you can identify which one is required.

It might be the Dorman 800-016?

• Support Team

Bob

That is the right fuel line male end and the Dorman 800-016 looks like the right clip  I just need to get hold of one (or a 6-pack) but will have to research where from; Amazon sellers either haven't got any or want £41 for six *eek* but that includes free postage.

Thanks for your help *clap*

I have a Dorman nylon line repair Kit, but no part numbers, so I may have what you need and am in Sheffield, assuming you are still in Chesterield? (I collected some used parts that you picked up for me from Rob Grigsby many years ago). If I don't have what you need then Summitracing in America have them https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rnb-800-016/applications?ibanner=SREPD2, but not sure on shipping time.

These lock fittings are pretty loose even when correctly engaged, so if you can get it to fully engage and then pull the line and not have it pop out then that is probably as good as it gets with these, it may not be faulty, just nasty.

Ford will be able to supply if you can get hold of a vin number for the type of car that the pump comes from.

• Support Team

Summit Racing are selling a pack of 6 for $5.99 but shipping is $26 min.  Are you around and available at all next week?  I'm still in Chesterfield so I could pop round to yours to see what your repair kit includes - later in the week if poss to avoid the risk of getting drenched in the forecast thunderstorms.  PM me a contact number if you are available.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob

I have a photo of the clip type that is in my repair kit:

large_fuelclip.jpg.a041a9838ad60da29ec49c2ac53b4bfe.jpg

This is a 2 prong clip and I have it in both 8mm and 10mm sizes.

However, it is possible that you need a 3 prong clip like this one:

large_redclip.jpg.8e53c58c9b38aaf64dcce6222be68d29.jpg

This seems to have a long shoulder that engages in the pump housing. I don't have these clips in my kit.

If the white clip is the style you need then happy to let you have one in the correct size.

Ian

• Support Team

Ian

Sorry about the delay but I've just been out to check on the fuel clip and it is a three prong clip.  It's been holding on since it went to the garage and has presumably been well pushed back in so, taking aerobod's comments on board re the fragility of these clips, I'm going to leave it alone for now and try to get hold of a three pronged clip.

IMG_86911.JPG.9da3f862adc2a2b3ba6d741d693336c7.JPGIMG_86971.JPG.206d77cf153ac447380b5668348c41eb.JPG