303 posts / 0 new
Last post
elie boone

Back to the future then, Saab in the 50's and amongst others had curtains before the radiator to control aiflow and with doing so the tempurature these curtains where adjusted from inside the cockpit. 

7 wonders of th...

Land Rover's had roller blinds too.......

aerobod
aerobod's picture

One suggestion for cars from the past decade or so is to have on-demand cooling with automated shutters / blinds on the grille to remove the need for a thermostat, but improve the aerodynamics when cooling wasn't needed. Not sure if Opel implemented it yet, but I know other manufacturers have looked at it: https://www.car-engineer.com/radiator-shutter-reduced-aerodynamic-drag/

BMW I know has removed the conventional thermostat, using on-demand electric cooling pumps in many current models, as I'm sure other manufacturers have, too.

With the very well defined and compact air intake on a Caterham, it would be fairly straight forward to engineer a servo driven shutter system to open and close the air intake based on water temperature from the existing sensor.

James

ScottR400D

The evidence suggests CC haven’t yet quite mastered the old thermostat/radiator/pump idea, James. 

Servo driven blinds and sensors might be a step too far......... Wink

Mark w

IMPORTANT UPDATE 

GOOD NEWS FOR 620 OWNERS .

Ive been in contact with one of the directors at Caterham and shared the details of the Mark W / Doctor  modifications . 

It wouldnt be right of me to share the full written response i got but its fair to say it was positively received and has initiated Caterham to look at modifying what they are currently doing . I quote " your solution is essentially exactly what we have in mind although achieved in a subtly different way" - My guess its that they will be looking at a remote stat in lieu of the modified housing but that is only a guess .

Other relevant info , Marks cries for help will be acknowledged and he and another customers cars will be modified .Additionally " [ after fully testing ] further down the line when we have a productionised product I think we’ll look to make it an aggressively priced update for cars in the field"

The down side of the exchange is that there was no offer to pay for my R and D Rofl

Anyway , i hope thats of interest , please dont follow this post up with cries of "not soon enough" , " should have been right in the first place " etc ,  Previous posts like that on this thread almost put me off sharing our work with the wider community .

James B
James B's picture

Well done Mark and Igor (and Neil) - that is a great outcome and it's terrific to know that CC are also following-up and on the case with a number of potential actions.  For me, as a potential 620 owner (at some point!) this really helps to address what was a worrying weakness in the car's configuration and paves the way for a safer ownership experience.

Now, all that you (both of you) need to do is get your R&D project properly written up for Lowflying!

James

Mark w

Arrow Up Yep , noted James .

7 wonders of th...

There's and easier way using the OE Ford stat but this was the most straight forward solution for most people.

Wonder is CC will retro fit these FOC or be like Morgan with the steering arms and charge customers....

7 wonders of th...

Next step, albeit a much simpler one, is to look at a stat in the lubrication circuit....  then all will be happy 

CtrMint
CtrMint's picture

I didn't exactly cry for help.

I spent an hour on a Zoom call with Simon presenting my case on the matter in a very logic manner.  This included the behaviour of the dealer network and technical realities of the car.  After which we reached an amicable agreement to move forward.  I didn't post the info publicly as I didn't want to place CC under any undue pressure.  They needed sometime to start the ball rolling. I did pass on the info to Mark who graciously handed over the design for review.  I also updated Martyn as he'd been supportive through applying subtle pressure too.

Caterham 420R S3 Lotus Toxic Green,  Caterham 620R S3 Exocet Red. Blog: https://www.caterham7diaries.com