Click here if you are having website access problems ×

620S Temperature Gauge

Maxim Taylor

Took my new toy out for a spin yesterday and noticed that the coolant temperature gauge read only 40 to 50. Ambient was around 8. Sat in traffic the temperature rises as normal and the fan does cut in.

So a few questions:

1) Surely the block temperature can’t be this cold, I assume they have a thermostat.

2) Is the sender for the gauge separate to the ecu temp sender? I’m hoping so, and the ecu is seeing a higher block temperature than this, or the ecu will be throwing in extra fuel!

Thanks for the newbie help....car is fantastic.

Early 620 cars had no thermostat fitted . Caterham changed the inlet pipe to  a new machining that can accommodate a thermostat . It has a thicker flange . 

If you have the thick flange version you cannot tell if it  has a thermostat fitted inside but you can tell if it definitely doesn’t  if you have the thin flange version fitted !

Some early cars has the upgraded pipe and thermostat retrofitted .

The gauge under reads by circa 10 degrees compared to the temperature sender used for engine coolant measurement ( per Easymap ) the Fueling map runs a richer mixture below 60 degrees as read by the coolant sender .

if you have a 620 wiring diagram I’d love a copy . All my attempts to secure one have failed ! 

Just been checking my library and the Caterham Cars website for Maxim. I'm a bit worried that I can't find anything specific: only the generic non-160 2015 Assembly Guide, amendments and Handbook.

Jonathan

Maxim 

I measured "my flange " tonight and would say that if yours is 19mm you have the upgraded part . Unless someone has gone to the bother of removing the stat i would guess that your car has one and you are just suffering from a bit of overcooling .

Even with the thermostat fitted mine does this when the air temp is below about 10 degrees .

You might want to wrap some of the oil cooler area as well if using on the road in these temperatures. 

• 2 weeks later...