Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A539s or Similar

mikehibb

Yes another tyre thread, sorry.

Having read all the other tyre threads, often they end up heading towards Toyo R888, Yokohama A048s etc. ( especially as the A021 is no longer available)

However as I am looking for road use, and only have 100bhp then I doubt that I would ever get the likes of the above anywhere near optimal operating temperature.

SIze: Currently on 185/70 R13s however the speedo is under-reading and I intend to go back to stock size for a classic 1600 Vx which is 185/60 R13 I believe.

So this points me towards the A539s, then just as I get ready to order I see someone refer to them as van tyres or similar. 

These are after all the control tyre for the Classic/Grads etc so should be suitable. After all not of all of us have 150hp plus being driven around a track.

So looking for tyre advice, for the more modest powered sevens that are mainly road use.

Many thanks in advance, Mike

I used a set of these on my then 1.4 several years ago. For nearly all road use I found them perfectly fine, although I always found the car a bit nervous on damp or wet roads compared to a 21r. They are harder than 21R and tended to be a bit under steers if the roads were a bit damp. However, I was probably driving too hard in the conditions so they made me slow down a bit! They lasted very well. For a 100bhp car like yours I'm sure they would be fine. 

Like you my next set of tyres will be 60 profile rather than 70, and given the driving I do these days, will probably fit 888/48s. 

what tyre are you currently running?

I had a 1600VX which came with its Avon CR322's (original from its Scholarship days, when the Academy was called that), these were 10 years old and gave little grip. I swapped for A539's after doing one sprint in the CR322's, and the A539's were a big improvement.

I`ve now got a 1.6 Sigma, ex-Academy, which came again with CR322's, and I swapped for some secondhand A539's, again big step forwards in grip... I`ve also now got a set of Avon CR500's, which are another step forwards in grip from the A539's. 

I was told once that with the Morris Ital Live Axle (I assume this is your spec, as was my 1600VX) you dont want more grip that the A539's, as the axle isnt that strong (more grip = more strain on the axle)

Thanks for the replies Tom and Andy.

Andy, the car came with Toyo 600 f8 tyres on, which I can not find out much about. they are 70 profile and I want to change back to 60 anyway.

Yes it is a Morris Ital live axle, and I too had heard not to go too grippy. 

So looks like the A539s should be he best choice.

Thaks all.

I have a set of 185 60 13 A539's on my roadgoing Zetec engined car with just over 170 bhp. I quite like them, they are predictable with good feel. Yes, you can find the limits of the rear tyres if you try but in terms of general handling non dry roads there's not much wrong with them. 

On damp /greasy roads they can get a bit sketchy but no more than expected.

I hear good things about Nankang NS 2R's; they are proper road legal track day tyre with stiff sidewalls and soft compound and look amazing value at £60 a corner. If you wanted a budget performance tyre I imagine they'd be hard to beat? 

With a standard Ital axle though I might be looking at the 539's.

Apparently you get a lot more than you can reasonably expect for £60 a corner! I had always assumed that anything with Nankang on the sidewall was a ditchfinder special but am reliably informed that (particularly the softer of the two compounds available) is a serious trackday tyre with stiff sidewalls and lots of grip. 

There is a long thread on Pistonheads about the Nankangs, generally pretty favourable.  However, they are all using barges rather than lightweight sports cars , so I cant read from that how they would be a on 500-600kg Caterham. 

Thanks again all,

The Nankang looks interesting, however there are still a few items to address.

The XL rating as mentioned earlier on such a light car as a Caterham can give a hard ride. Then we also have the fact that the Nankang is an intermidiate road legal track tyre and again on a 100hp 500kg Caterham I am just not going to get up to optimal operating temp.

Having spoken to Camskill and others recently it is my interpretation that  there would be a slight (Dry) improvement over A539s etc at first, however the true added benefit of this tyres potential would not be obtained. Basically the Nankang 120 is obviously more grippy, but the true potential would not be realised at temperatures based on normal road loads.

But on the other hand as the price is as cheap as the A539 then there is no real loss. plus the added wet B rating.

It would be interesting to find out how hard the ride is with the stiff walled Nankang.

Still edging towards the A539s though.

hmmmmmmm ( might have to have another re-think)

Ive been watching this with interest as my seven use will be road only soon. R888s have a fair bit of life left but planning ahead.

Put some ovation winter tyres on SWMBO's car and theyre very sticky. I'm liking the sound of softer winter / wet tintop tyres for all around road use on the Seven.

Ian

I'm had all sorts on my VX1600,

Started with the Avon ditch finders which scared me.*eek*..

Found a set of secondhand alloys on here with slightly used 539's on. To be honest I think they may be the best compromise of tire for the low power the engine produces. They lasted extremely well with reasonably good grip in both wet and dry, they are not as grippy as 888's or A048's. I've since had both r888 and a048 on mine with the axle having no issues, I know that everyone says that these tires on  the ital axle will cause issues but and it is a big but the axle will be fine at 8/10 and when do we really push that hard on public roads?

I like many have been watching this thread. 

I see it this way. 

A539 are normally bought in 185 -60-13 and are a list 1a tyre for sprinting

the Nankangs are listed a 1b tyre. 

List 1a is less sticky than 1b so Nankangs should give you more grip. They also come in a wider size 205 IIRC .

the comparison should be against 888, cr500 ect as these are 1b tyres.

David

I've also been watching with interest, my car came (1.6k) with 539's and to be honest if you compare to A021, there is no comparison. But I've only run these two tyre types so cannot comment on other lesser grip tyres. So if less lateral grip is OK then 539's with the upside that they will most likely not run out of tread anytime soon.

Also watching this with interest, my present Seven (my 5th, don't ask... but I've plenty of previous with Yoko's 21's, 32's and Toyo 888's) is still sat on 14" Avon ZV3's which make it feel like the least Seven like Seven I've ever driven, so am all of a quandary do I just go decent 14's on the existing rims or 'conserve' the 14's (in the loft) as is and go 13's and good tyres as well ??? which I think would yield even more goodness.

Mostly road use is the answer.

Thing is my last Seven (an un-raced ex-academy car) had 13" R888's in GG compound and I miss how well that worked in both the grip and ride department even though that car had Tillett's and the present one namby pamby S types.

That car was set up with the radius arms in 'Race' whereas this one is in 'Comfort' at present. Where is GN55LLV now? There is a lot to be said for the sidewall compliance of a good 13" tyre I think, not only is the un-sprung weight reduced but due to the taller sidewall the ride improves as well.

My last car had adjustable platforms and may have been flat floored before I owned it this one has fixed platforms and if I'm going to change I should go Nitron but don't fancy having to have the dampers 'serviced' (although I understand all the reasons 'for').

When I had the last car a lot was made of the supposed poor performance of the R888 in the wet, well having sampled monsoon conditions I never found the point where no grip exists they just seemed to keep on going grip wise, it always seemed that with an aero screen I was more bothered by the rain than they were!, although I'd guess there must be a point where a sudden sharp cut-off occurs.