Assembly Guide for a VX Classic 1600 8V ?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
bjw
bjw's picture
Assembly Guide for a VX Classic 1600 8V ?

Just for completeness I'd very much like to get hold of an assembly guide (in any format) covering my VX Classic 1600 8V (a 1998 kit).

(And yes, I've already asked Jonathan!  He doesn't have one.)

I can't find anything anywhere on the net, and I've not spotted a 'real' one on eBay in the year or more I've been looking.

According to Wikipedia (..?) the VX 8V was supplied from 1997 to 2002 (224 cars) so there must surely be a few guides around even if a good proportion of those were factory built.

I guess it would have shared a guide with other models during that period, although perhaps it might even have been just included in an addendum?

Can anyone shed any light? is it really that rare?

Many Thanks,
Barry

John Vine
John Vine's picture

I've never heard of an AG covering the VX 8V.  All I can suggest is that you contact CC themselves (or the archivist Martin.Phipps AT caterham DOT com) and ask whether such a guide ever existed.   If it did, who knows, maybe CC have a copy gathering dust in some remote corner!

If you do find one, I'm sure JK would appreciate a copy...

JV

bjw
bjw's picture

Hi John, thanks for replying.

I found this post from 2003 (only a year after the 8V was discontinued):-

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/anyone-got-vx-8-valve-owners-manual

Anyone got a VX 8 valve owners manual

Went to the Factory today for one of these items and have been informed they have not only no stock, but are out of print and are unlikely to produce any more (apparently they only sold eleven in the last year of publication.) Only manuals for the K series variants are now available.

- So it appears there was one, but any official supply dried up almost immediately. They sold every single one they had, but there was no demand...

Cheers,
Barry

John Vine
John Vine's picture

At the time,  I imagine CC would have written the AG in-house using a bog-standard PC word processor such as MS Word.  That 2003 post implies that CC outsourced the printing, so there remains a very slim chance that, if CC no longer have the PC file, the printers might still have a camera-ready copy somewhere.  It would be worth asking CC which printer they used.

JV 

rj
rj's picture

The Owners Manual was a printed book for the K series, at least in 2003.

However, the assembly guide was available as a pdf to download.

I've never seen an AG for the 8V VX. Most will be covered in the old X-flow manual, and for the engine there's a Haynes manual which I've seen somewhere.

This http://www.regins.dk/Caterham/Assembly_guide_1992.pdf

might come close.

If not, try this: http://www.regins.dk/Caterham/Assembly_Guide_2001.pdf

tbirds search:

Blatchat Google Search

pellert

I have an assembly guide for when I purchased my kit in late 2000. I still have the car, and I still have the AG. Although I know where the car is, it may take a while to find the AG.  From memory I thought it was specific for the 1600 Vx Classic, but it may have been bastardised from a previous Live Axle model.

pellert

Managed to find it, but will not be able to scan it until next week at the earliest.   

SM25T
SM25T's picture
Well done Paul
Blue C7

Once again the club comes up trumps.

Jonathan Kay
Jonathan Kay's picture

Paul: Private Message sent.

Jonathan

bjw
bjw's picture

That's great Paul, brilliant! Thank you so much. I'd pretty much given up ever seeing one.

I don't know where you're based but I'd be more than happy to pick it up and scan it for you if you're not too far away. (I'm in Iver, Bucks - a few miles from Heathrow.)

Thanks also Regin. (The link to the 2002 manual appears to be broken at the moment).

Cheers,

Barry