Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Assembly Guide for a VX Classic 1600 8V ?

bjw

Just for completeness I'd very much like to get hold of an assembly guide (in any format) covering my VX Classic 1600 8V (a 1998 kit).

(And yes, I've already asked Jonathan!  He doesn't have one.)

I can't find anything anywhere on the net, and I've not spotted a 'real' one on eBay in the year or more I've been looking.

According to Wikipedia (..?) the VX 8V was supplied from 1997 to 2002 (224 cars) so there must surely be a few guides around even if a good proportion of those were factory built.

I guess it would have shared a guide with other models during that period, although perhaps it might even have been just included in an addendum?

Can anyone shed any light? is it really that rare?

Many Thanks,
Barry

I've never heard of an AG covering the VX 8V.  All I can suggest is that you contact CC themselves (or the archivist Martin.Phipps AT caterham DOT com) and ask whether such a guide ever existed.   If it did, who knows, maybe CC have a copy gathering dust in some remote corner!

If you do find one, I'm sure JK would appreciate a copy...

JV

Hi John, thanks for replying.

I found this post from 2003 (only a year after the 8V was discontinued):-

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/anyone-got-vx-8-valve-owners-manual

Anyone got a VX 8 valve owners manual

Went to the Factory today for one of these items and have been informed they have not only no stock, but are out of print and are unlikely to produce any more (apparently they only sold eleven in the last year of publication.) Only manuals for the K series variants are now available.

- So it appears there was one, but any official supply dried up almost immediately. They sold every single one they had, but there was no demand...

Cheers,
Barry

At the time,  I imagine CC would have written the AG in-house using a bog-standard PC word processor such as MS Word.  That 2003 post implies that CC outsourced the printing, so there remains a very slim chance that, if CC no longer have the PC file, the printers might still have a camera-ready copy somewhere.  It would be worth asking CC which printer they used.

JV 

The Owners Manual was a printed book for the K series, at least in 2003.

However, the assembly guide was available as a pdf to download.

I've never seen an AG for the 8V VX. Most will be covered in the old X-flow manual, and for the engine there's a Haynes manual which I've seen somewhere.

This http://www.regins.dk/Caterham/Assembly_guide_1992.pdf

might come close.

If not, try this: http://www.regins.dk/Caterham/Assembly_Guide_2001.pdf

I have an assembly guide for when I purchased my kit in late 2000. I still have the car, and I still have the AG. Although I know where the car is, it may take a while to find the AG.  From memory I thought it was specific for the 1600 Vx Classic, but it may have been bastardised from a previous Live Axle model.

That's great Paul, brilliant! Thank you so much. I'd pretty much given up ever seeing one.

I don't know where you're based but I'd be more than happy to pick it up and scan it for you if you're not too far away. (I'm in Iver, Bucks - a few miles from Heathrow.)

Thanks also Regin. (The link to the 2002 manual appears to be broken at the moment).

Cheers,

Barry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Emails/pdfs received. Thanks very much for doing this. Excellent quality scanning.

I haven't read it through yet but a quick browse shows there's certainly a few things I haven't come across before.

The loom diagram in the main manual pdf appears to tally closely with the car as far as I can see, but the wiring diagram in the other pdf is the same as the one in the 1995 guide and doesn't cover the 956i ECU and has the wrong fuse layout. I suspect this was acquired separately?

As you're an original owner/builder I'm guessing there simply never was a wiring diagram for the VX 8V and this was the point where Caterham switched from the rather difficult to read circuit diagrams to the exceptionally difficult to decode loom manufacturing diagrams!

Thanks again,

Barry

"(But the first K Guides had the old style diagram!)"

Surely that's to be expected as the first K Guides must have been produced in 1992 (1.4)  and so  pre-date the VX 8V (1997) ?

Cheers

Barry