I used Sikaflex 521.
I can't find a reference to Sikaflex 521 in the archives. But there's a lot on other types.
The manufacturer describes 521 as an "Excellent adherent, weathering resistant sealant", not as an adhesive. (And notes the slower curing time at lower temperature and "The optimum temperature for substrate and sealant is between 15°C and 25°C.")
I didn't remove all of it, perhaps closer to half of it.
It looks to have failed on the connection to the cycle wing - as there is a fair bit of glue on the wingstay, but not on the wing it self.
Matt: Did you spot #32... that might have crossed with your #33.
Yeah, I did cheers. I got the idea of using this one from another blog where said it had worked out really well.
I think I may need to just do a full "start again" as the right wing seems perfectly fine.
Matt if you go for BigHeads check that they ship you the 15mm version. For Sikaflex 292i marine adhesive gets my vote.
Sika 292 is the strongest available ,once it’s on and you have done all the prep correctly it a bugger to remove.
I wouldn't assume that the other one is secure.
I'd redo both, including:
Back online again after a hiatus .... A long way down the track now. The updates
1. All the wiring stuff on the guages - I suspect Caterham ballsed it up when they supplied it. I'm fairly confident that the petrol, temp and oil pressure were wired to the wrong guages.
2. I paid Caterham to do the IVA and I'm glad as it failed first up - something wrong with the handbrake not applying equal pressure.
3. Grommets. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get some of the bastards in.
4. Headlights ... they weren't happy with my wiring. Which is a bit upsetting as I spent hours on that and thought it looked ok.
Lots of other things were wrong which they replaced under warranty. Battery, brake master cylinder and clutch were all faulty and required replacement. I didn't have to pay (good) but it did take a while. I think it was close to 3 months from pick up at mine to me picking up at the factory. And then as soon as I got it home, I noticed oil everywhere. Turns out there was a "pinhole" in the sump which again was fixed under warranty. I didn't expect perfection, but I do feel that the list of things which were faulty was quite excessive.
However ... I'm now 1000 miles in which means I'm past the running in stage (changing gear at 4k rpm got boring) and boy are we underway. Not taken on track yet, as I'm still learning to drive it. Each time I head out for a blat, I discover something else about the handling characteristics of the car. Learning very quickly where the edge is and how to drive as close as possible.
Next steps ... finally make it to a club event, and then on a track day / learn to drift day. Seen quite a few other Caterhams on the road around me, unfortunately I'm usually in the family wagon, but on the times I'm the 7, there's always lights flashing and waves. Great little community we have here.
In the meantime, if anybody in Surrey knows some good places to head out for a blast (which isn't overrun by lyrcra clad crazies) then let me know ... I think the people who live around Foxhills / Chobham are rather sick of the sight of me by now ...
Glad you're up and running.
I didn't expect perfection, but I do feel that the list of things which were faulty was quite excessive.
You're not alone!
... something wrong with the handbrake not applying equal pressure.