Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Camber Settings 1999 k-Series Widetrack

Tin Man

• Area Representative

Hi everyone 

I just fitted some new tyres to the 7 and I have noticed uneven wear on the front tyres. As a result, I had a good look at the front wheels and noticed they they appeared to have different camber settings. Furthermore, I put a spirit level between the rims and this confirmed my visual inspection.  I had the car flat floored many years ago, but I don't see how this would change the camber setting. Can anyone confirm that flat flooring would not change the camber angles. Furthermore, can anyone confirm what the camber settings should be. 

Many thanks

John

As you say the set up was many years ago it would probably be worth at least having the geometry checked again as it can be a combination of settings which can cause uneven wear.

Some of us run aggressive camber, well over 2 degrees negative, with a little toe out, and live with the consequences of uneven tyre wear, so for some of us it's all part of the choices we make for our preferred set up.

• Area Representative

I am sure that they only adjusted the  damper heights  to change the corner weights when flat flooring the car. I don't see how this would alter the camber settings. There appears to be around 6mm difference between the wheels. 

If you are a practical type you can get very good results setting up a car with a tape measure, a couple of straight edges and string!. I bought myself a Trackace laser tracking tool, its paid for itself and is easy to use and more accurate. I set up my car with my wife for ballast plus a couple of bags of sand. The main problem is finding somewhere flat most garage floors aren't. If you are not doing track days flat flooring is probably not that worth while, but the camber and tracking are.

Front camber 1 deg 20 mins +- 15mins Negative   tracking 20mins +- 10 mins  toe in.Track cars tend to be set up with more negative camber camber and toe out but this will make it twitchy and follow tramlines on the road.

• 1 month later...
  • Area Representative

Can I conclude from this that the flat flooring is done after the geometry is checked. When I had the flat flooring done I gave them the weight of my wife and myself as it's nearly always driven with two up. Can I also conclude by adjusting the right height also changes the camber setting. I've stopped taking part in track days now, but the car should have been setup for two people so the front tyre wear should be even. The driver's side tyre has no wear on the outside therefore should I adjust the ride height to correct this?

Many thanks