Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 620s - Brake warning light coming on under acceleration

Phillip Meyer

Hi,

My brake warning light keeps flashing on (the red light that comes on for the handbrake), mostly when I accelerate off from stationary but flickers generally when I accelerate, never under deceleration or turning.

The brake fluid seems okay (just above MIN). I cannot easily see the brake pads but potentially they might need replacing, is there an easy way to see how much is left?

I will call Caterham (again) on Monday but wondered if anyone had any suggestion (I have searched the forum but the general consensus seems to be either brake fluid or an earth problem).

As the consensus on here it looks like things are working as they should and warning you that the fluid level is getting low.  If it were the pad wear it would come on under braking (assuming there are wear indicators wired up).  Worth checking the pads anyway because if they are almost at the point of needing replacement the fluid level will rise when the pistons are pushed back.  If you have already filled to the max then you could get some spillage or need to remove fluid.

Also worth investigating the reason for fluid level drop.  If it is down to pad wear (front and rear) then OK but make sure there are no small leaks on unions etc.

I possibly should have mentioned that this started happening on my way home from a track day at Brands Hatch. So it could Be wear or perhaps a reduction in fluid from heavy use at the track day? They did fill the brake fluid when I got the car in June (i know because they spilled a little), seems quick to need topping up.

There are definitely no leaks while the car is standing, it's in a barn when not in use, any leak would be really noticeable.

My reservoir doesn't look like the one in the image above, the minimum level is the little ridge all around but I will top off later

Is there an easy way to see the break pads, I can't seem to easily see them at any angle.

I had the same problem with the brake warning light flickering under acceleration on my 420R. Topping the fluid right up to the 'maximum' line stopped it & I haven't had a problem since.

The brake fluid reservoir was leaking slightly when I first bought the car. I initially used Peter's kitchen roll & cable tie approach, but ruminating further on the problem, I realised that the plastic cap was bottoming out before the rubber sealing ring was sufficiently compressed.

I added a second rubber sealing ring underneath the cap & it's been leak-free for the last couple of years, even on track.