Caterham Seven 485 CSR

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
paul jacobs
paul jacobs's picture

I'm working on it - got the badge on the back that says "HYBRID" all I have to do now is to convince the DVLA.  What could possibly go wrong?

simon_h
simon_h's picture

A 485 engine, compared to a 420 engine, has high compression pistons, more aggressive cams, ported head, roller barrel throttles and 8500 rev limit to get to the power plus the usual bits to help it stay together. 

Richard_420R
Richard_420R's picture

Caterham don't seem to offer upgrades to get a 420 to 485 or old R500D spec.  Is it an emissions thing or something?  Or maybe just too expensive to be viable ... I would have thought there'd be a market to get to the ultimate NA setup - wasn't really attracted to the 620 with the supercharger.  

7 wonders of th...

If your going spend that money then you can choice a better cam to, A well respected master of the dyno had several R500D visit and not a single one made the claimed 263BHP

Must admit I went the same way for a pokey NA 2.0 Duratec - simply a fantastic motor and arguable the best engine for a 7  Driving  Thumb Up 

CharlesElliott
CharlesElliott's picture

My '310' race car weighs about 530Kg with fluids, but no carpet, no lights and only one seat. The imperial chassis were definitely lighter than the new metric ones by maybe 15Kg but you would struggle a lot to get to 500Kg.

Blue7
Blue7's picture

I assume that the 500kg is just a base standardised figure to use across the range to generate appropriate model identification names / numbers.  It is an easy way to identify the more "powerful" models in the range whilst not being a true bhp / tonne.

7 wonders of th...

Not seen a figure for the difference in chassis weights but 15kg seems on the high side.

However the Mazda gearbox is 15kg heavier than the Type 9, and the BMW iron final drive is heavier than the Sierra version, and then theres the ironmongery to attach it to the chassis too.

The classification is pure marketing smoke and mirrors as the figure are not reflective of real weights - and we wont mention the R500 SV....... Whistle 

Nigel B
Nigel B's picture

They certainly have become heavier over the years. I traded in my 8 valve Vauxhall engined live axle car for a 420R last year. 

I’ve always pushed the car out of the garage, before closing the garage door & heading out for a blat. I was a bit taken aback by how much more effort was required to roll the 420R out onto the drive!

Blue7
Blue7's picture

Nigel, it's aka ... old age Biglaugh

Nigel B
Nigel B's picture

I must confess, that had occurred to me too!