Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing fuel pump: 1997 K-series Supersport

Mankee

I spent an hour or so searching in the archives last night but couldn't find anything on replacing the fuel pump. Is it a simple job? I bought a Bosch 044 from Dave Walker yesterday and am hoping to fit that sharpish.

My car is a 1997 K-series and an Emerald session yesterday diagnosed a weak pump causing the engine to lean off at high loads/engine speeds. But it still made a touch more power than when the previous owner had Dave set it up a couple of years ago!

So I'm 😬 that it's made more power on a dodgy fuel pump but ☹️ that I've got a dodgy fuel pump.

if you have a std pump setup, the pump is inside the removable section thats on the drivers side section of the fuel tank.

Its a tank out job for ease of access but you could work a little harder and do it in situ.

The small hex screws are retained with rivnuts so take care to undo in one shot...

the plate is then removed and the pump is inside within its carrier.

I would also suggest you aquire a new rubber seal for the tank plate from caterham . Then the next risk is when refitting the plate as this *easily* distorts so ease the screws down in sequence and even consider replacing the rivnuts to prevent one from spinning on its self on refit - if you do this make sure to use blind rivnuts to prevent leakage etc . I also add a little bearing lock behind the rivnuts on refit. The screws only tighten down to just beyond finger tight and about half a turn. The thing to avoid is distorting the plate or the tank !!!

You may also want to consider uprating to a pump suitable for in excess of 210bhp for future upgrades - this is the rover tomcat pump.

I would also replace the fuel filter whilst your covered in petrol and have the tank out *smile*

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got the pump sorted out last week with the help of a motorsport prep friend in Ipswich. Got a pump from Merlin (thanks for the link DJ) and a new gasket from Rover. A few hours to drain the tank, remove the boot floor, lift up one end for access and swapping the bits over. The little strainer and plastic cap were FULL of metal swarf of shyte! 😳

Bunged it all back together and ran it up several times on the rollers with a few tweaks to the fuel pressure to check everything and the results were excellent! Ignoring the differences between the sets of rollers but concentrating on the readings from the same rollers, I've managed to gain around 10 bhp and ft-lb. And the fuel pressure is now stable, so I should be able to rev it harder if I go for more power in the future. Really pleased with the car now.

I've just got the dilemma of whether to try the engine as it is on a trackday or whether to just throw in the 1320s I got from DVA a few weeks ago or get the geo set up on it properly. Hmm...

Yes, Dave. It was the first thing I tried after the disappointing fuelling. Swapped it for a fresh Halfords one and no real difference, so got on the blower to order the pump from Merlin. Seriously pleased with the results! I'll use the old pump to make a device for refuelling at trackdays a bit less painful. Cheers for the help. *smile*