Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cooling Solution for early (1984) cars.

Tazio

• Area Representative

I used to own a 1985 Super Sprint which I had from new and kept for 25 years. The cooling in traffic was always marginal and I believe that the original radiator was from a Hillman Hunter. I retro fitted a Cosworth radiator which was bigger all round and had to be moved to the front of the chassis, with added mounting brackets welded on. The fan had to be turned round as well. It then cooled the car well.

xlarge_7Enginebay006_0.jpg.d8b8c2d296f15f6c34b1baba74343bb4.jpg

• Area Representative

I "think" I still have the original Hillman Hunter radiator in the garage.  I can't remember ever throwing it away.

This is a slightly better photo. I also had to move the oil cooler and bracket.

xlarge_7Enginebay005.jpg.a1938529e55b450cad657ade15461425.jpg

Thanks Piers, that's effectively a de-dion set up, and is known to work, I've got the same on my later car. I was wondering if anyone had ever managed to implement a solution that didn't require re-positioning the radiator, if I have to i will.  It's good to know where a radiator is too, mine's not been started for decades so who knows what's the state of the existing radiator , lol.

Alan

Piers,  sorry I meant the layout of your solution follows the radiator set up which was implemented when the later de-dion chassis were introduced with the cruciform set up at the front. 

The car will be going to Arch at sometime, as I don't like the lapbelts currently fitted I much prefer a full harness, so the chassis will need to be modified to accommodate them,  altering the rad pick up points could be done then.  It's what to do in the interim, if anything.

Alan

Alan, your radiator/fan setup is in the same position as mine.  The fan is not automatic, there's a switch on the dash for that.  Overheating is never really an issue (other than in the cockpit!  *yikes* ) and if the engine does get a bit too warm in traffic, then a few dribbles on the road is the result  *biglaugh*  Non of this unnecessary weight with expansion tanks!

Your picture did bring back memories though of a French agricultural garage doing some delicate welding to the broken top stay on the radiator, in the middle of nowhere, on a Saturday afternoon!  Job done, payment refused and on our way again touring rural France.  His work is still pretty solid today!

Then there was the blown headlight on a Le Mans trip...

... and the failed generator/regulator on another Le Mans trip...

I could write a book *read* 

On my 1987 Supersprint I removed the old fan and installed a modern fan on the front of the radiator. I also installed a manual switch on the dashboard. The relay actuation works perfectly and the car never overheated after I made the upgrade, so the manual switch really isn't needed. I occasionally use the manual switch when autocrossing which puts high loads on the engine for a short period followed by longer periods sitting still.

Further to my post on the other version of this thread just now I can confirm that my fan is automatic via a thermostatic switch in the thermostat housing plus I seem to recall there is also a manual override switch on the dash (all part of the wiring as supplied by CC).  It is in bits at the moment so cannot confirm 

The efficiency of the cooling fan in that position is very low, so unless you like the 'kiddies seaside windmill' look then loose it and use a SPAL type, if your running an oil cooler make sure that it is stat controlled and mounted in front of the radiator and close to it, with the fins aligned too.

add an expansion bottle correctly mounted and plumbed in,

make sure all cooling system components are in good working order, pump, hoses, bleeds, bypasses, matrix, crap in the block etc, fit suitable thermostat and fan switches.

ensure gauge works correctly

....and then enjoy.

Thanks Neil, the problem with how the rad is mounted, the steering rack mount behind the rad, really prevents installing a 'sucker' fan, and installing a rad mounted pusher fan seems counter intuitive, as it shrouds the rad too much, considering how little volume there is in the rad itself.

The optimum solution is relocate the rad to the front of the chassis, so long as the current setup will get me through the first few months I'll be fine. I will convert the car to a pressurised system too, with all new hoses and a drilled stat.

The fan will shroud the radiator which ever side its fitted, it either restrict flow into or out of the rad - little difference really. A small pusher fan will be fine circa 9" - thats all I have on mine ! go larger if you can for piece of mind.

If the rad is clean and flows well you will be fine.

Make sure your fan switch values respect the thermostat value too.

Re: #11

Hi Piers, yes it definitely would have been one of my many trips to Le Mans, staying in the company of Ms Condon.  Brings back many memories, including drag races in Sevens up the drive to see who could stop nearest the steps in front of the chateau - on gravel!  *yikes*

Definitely no cooling issues though... *laugh*