Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cooling Solution for early (1984) cars.

Tazio

20210101_123821_0.thumb.jpg.1e50c02fafdec41fc3c175c0a65a6d00.jpgThe photo shows the cooling arrangements on my 1984 Project car, I suspect that the 'pusher' fan will have very questionable effect.  That being said, how do owners with identical setups find them in use?, or have you found an alternative solution that works, that you can share?  Many thanks, Alan

Alan, mine has the same set up.  I never had any problems although I do not recall sitting in traffic much which is when it will be needed.  Apart from fitting a larger fan in front of the rad (which will be more of an obstruction to air flow when moving) there is not much option with a Xflow that I can see

Hi Alan,

We have the same setup on our car. Do you have the shroud that goes around the fan? This will help somewhat, but still a pretty dated design. There is not a lot of room on the back of the radiator for a fan either. We are considering an aluminium replacment radiator and would try and fit the largest fan possible on the rear (as the oil cooler and ARB are in the way on the front). You should get a decent sized fan mounted to the rear of the radiator, above the steering rack.

PXL_20201021_024933168(Large).jpg.c9e079217e100401d9fffa457fd1b1ea.jpg

Hiya, long boring story but here in australia its a tad warm, albeit my cars a bit different, K series.

I went radtec radiator (excellent) 10' fan on front with a  relay and switch on dash, then used the original thermo cut in fan on the back, with a flat carbon sheet cut to be a very close fit and mounted on the inside, in effect it ensures that the thermo fan works at maximum efficiency and draws air across the entire fin surface not just the fans diameter. Along with a couple of other things car runs all day steady temp, 80/85 degrees in traffic/ track days warm down lap I just nudge the extra fan and its a dream.

BDR, no I haven't got the fan shroud. I've looked at a rear mounted fan, but as you say it's very tight, the rack mount and rack steal most of it.

The reality is I have to take the chassis back to Arch, as currently there's no facility to fit a harness, so an additional chassis rail behind the seats needs installing, so I'll get the front rad mounts fitted at the same time.

Makes sense but definitely research cooling radiator shrouds, very convincing when you look at the physics of it, I guess there's a reason why all the major manufacturers waste tons of invaluable underbonnet space with elaborate shrouds.....I chose carbon sheet as its relatively cheap, (ebay) thermally efficient, fairly easy to work with (watch the dust - think asbestos!) and looks good when done neatly.

Hi Chris literally off shelf at demon tweeks, phoned had a chat they were very good and it was here in Brisbane in bang on a  week, fitted perfectly first time, side pass (tanks on sides not top and bottom)

Price cant quite remember but it was cheaper than having it locally made up.