Cooling Solution for early (1984) cars.

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
7 wonders of th...

The efficiency of the cooling fan in that position is very low, so unless you like the 'kiddies seaside windmill' look then loose it and use a SPAL type, if your running an oil cooler make sure that it is stat controlled and mounted in front of the radiator and close to it, with the fins aligned too.

add an expansion bottle correctly mounted and plumbed in,

make sure all cooling system components are in good working order, pump, hoses, bleeds, bypasses, matrix, crap in the block etc, fit suitable thermostat and fan switches.

ensure gauge works correctly

....and then enjoy.

Tazio
Tazio's picture
Thanks Neil, the problem with how the rad is mounted, the steering rack mount behind the rad, really prevents installing a 'sucker' fan, and installing a rad mounted pusher fan seems counter intuitive, as it shrouds the rad too much, considering how little volume there is in the rad itself. The optimum solution is relocate the rad to the front of the chassis, so long as the current setup will get me through the first few months I'll be fine. I will convert the car to a pressurised system too, with all new hoses and a drilled stat.
7 wonders of th...

The fan will shroud the radiator which ever side its fitted, it either restrict flow into or out of the rad - little difference really. A small pusher fan will be fine circa 9" - thats all I have on mine ! go larger if you can for piece of mind.

If the rad is clean and flows well you will be fine.

Make sure your fan switch values respect the thermostat value too.

Roy Blyth
Roy Blyth's picture

Re: #11

Hi Piers, yes it definitely would have been one of my many trips to Le Mans, staying in the company of Ms Condon.  Brings back many memories, including drag races in Sevens up the drive to see who could stop nearest the steps in front of the chateau - on gravel!  Yikes

Definitely no cooling issues though... Laugh 

Even Sir Derek could win it!  Driving