Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500 In the wet?

finmac

Have a set of good tread CR500 on my CSR which are older age wise.

Dry grip is fine but wet is interesting at best and scary at worst. Interested in people’s opinion as to why - I thought Cr500 was meant to be OK in the wet or  is it a tyre age thing maybe? 

Age won't help. I recall CR500 are only born with about 5.5mm of tread. For my 15" wheels, I gave up with them and changed to Toyo T1R ... I only drive on the road, and found the tread pattern and greater depth shifts water well, even in summer European downpours.

Ian's right.  Age tends to lead to harder, less compliant rubber.  A youthful CR500 should be fine in the wet.  Is your tracking ok?

Perhaps consider ZZS?  I swapped to those on my R400D when the CR500 became difficult to source, and have found them very good in both dry and wet.

JV

Agreed CR500 are good in the wet but age is a problem, slightly embarrassingly the CR500's on my car are now 5 years old! I really need to use the car more!

It's noticeable how much less grip they have both in the wet and dry.

Interesting to hear the ZZS works well, I suspect that is what I'll replace mine with.

That's interesting, if you have a photo I would appreciate a look?  I have re-cycled a pair of old carbon wing protectors as mudflaps so I have even less room at the rear of each wing.

Interestingly, the CR500's have better ratings than the ZZS

CR500: Fuel efficiency F, Wet Grip A, Noise 70db

ZZS: Fuel efficiency F, Wet Grip C, Noise 72db

I haven’t had a problem fitting ZZRs to my car, built with CR500s. They are a little bigger in diameter and width but fit fine. 

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the wet ratings. The ZZR is also a ‘C’ rating, even with a lot less tread than the ZZS. 

In any case, I understand the wet rating is based purely on stopping distance. 

Hi Tom,

I bought a pair of these (500x300x4 mm), trimmed them to fit, and fixed them with a couple of stainless socket button screws, rubber washers and nylocs each side:

Mudflap_20190915.thumb.jpg.8203fb95bdef319fabd951687333abed.jpg

They work reasonably well (especially in rural Dorset where there seem to be more horses than people), but could do with some stiffening along the sides to hold them more vertical.

JV