Draught excluder for 2007 CSR

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gavel
Draught excluder for 2007 CSR

I have a Soft Bits half hood and draught excluder rescued from a previous car, a 2005 K Series SV. The hood fits perfectly on my new (to me) CSR but the draught excluder does not. Having driven through heavy rain last weekend in which the inside of the car, and I, got soaked, does anyone have any ideas on a workaround, or do I go back to Soft Bits? The mesh fits fine if I remove the lower section, but that leaves the flaps hanging to which the lower section Velcros to but I have yet to try this on the road.

Jim 123
Jim 123's picture

Have you tried the half hood in rain without the excluder? The configuration of the excluder may be creating a negative pressure differential that is drawing in water off the hood. The direction of wind that is driving the rain on your recent trip may equally be a factor.

Jim

Gavel

I was using the half hood without excluder. I can't speak to the wind direction but I was moving along pretty swiftly in order to get to my destination as quickly as possible. I was soaked and the car interior is still drying out! I have now fitted the excluder, but it sits way too far forward away from the rear bulkhead to be effective (I think). I suspect fabricating my own to fit on the inside of the roll bar could be the answer.  

Jim 123
Jim 123's picture

That’s trashed my theory.

Jim

SM25T
SM25T's picture
Fill the whole roll bar with a fine mesh screen. Black insect mesh from eBay.
Ian B

One of these slid between the rear straps of a SBFS hapf-hood and the rear roll bar bracing tubes, and tucked up under the top of the roll bar, works perfectly for incoming rear spray and also very effective against driving rain from the rear when parked up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumex-4410009-Lateral-Sunshade-50X100/dp/B001JYE47G/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=rear+car+sunshade&qid=1564944743&s=gateway&sr=8-8

The Completely Superior Ride Seven Wink

Curly
Curly's picture

I have a Soft bits one on my 2003 SV but did see some interesting other options at Oxted Trimming about 2 years ago when they were making me a tonneau cover.

Limitless
Limitless's picture

Draught excluder...seriously! FFS. Thought they were for hair dressers. We are real men Drink (with more aches and pains).

Blue7
Blue7's picture

They are as described and somewhat inaccurately as "draught excluders".  Similar very expensive accessories can be found on Morgans and Astons, the mesh is supposed to reduce draught and spray from the rear.  I had one but it neither stopped draughts or prevented spray from the rear, all it did was reduce rear visibility.  I have re-read your question Gavel but can't really understand where these "leaves / flaps" are?  From what I recall, it consisted of two headrest covers joined by mesh?

If you want complete protection use the standard Caterham hood ... or man up and "GO AERO" ... humble apologies but I just couldn't resist that one Biggrin

SM25T
SM25T's picture
It is a 2-part affair. There is a pocket that fits between the seats, with each end hanging around the head restraint post. The flaps at the bottom of the mesh velcro along the top edge of this pocket. Unfortunately, the mesh bit is too small to be effective as it leaves a large gap up to the half hood. If the head restraints are not at the same height, or the seats not aligned, the mesh looks awful.
David Brown

I made my own using pvc conduit, heated to bend into shape, and fly screen glued to it. Cable tied to the roll bar, this covers a far bigger area than the SBFS one that mounts between the headrests. Having had problems with water dripping off and down the back of the seats, I’ve just added a strip of brush draft excluder to the bottom edge which mates nicely to the boot cover and seat belt bolts. Looks good but haven’t yet tested it.