Draught excluder for 2007 CSR

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rogercsr7
Rogercsr7's picture

Made something like it a while back, but edged it with 2cm wide hemtape (out of Christine's  sewing box). Similar use of lower poppers and Velcro loops. Left in place these days as CSR used for touring only. Certainly calms things down in the cabin and cuts out rear spray with the halfhood in place.

AAR for N E Yorks

Ian B
Sorry Gavel, don't come on here much now. No, no need to fix the mesh with anything. It has a "wire" edging to it which I push up under the half hood so it just goes over the top of the roll bar, which holds it in place. It's also held in place between the rear roll bar braces and the half hood straps that run down the top face of them. The bottom edge sometimes bows up a little in the middle but it's not a problem. You can see through the mesh fine, and it keeps the spray (and most of the rain if parked up) from coming into the cockpit and down the bulkhead behind the seats. For a couple of quid it's a very effective accessory.

The Completely Superior Ride Seven Wink

NWales AR
NWales AR's picture

Ian B, thanks so much for your response I confess I’m not on here much, but I’m changing my opinion, the helpful suggestions I’m getting on my initial post is very encouraging.

i shall give your solution a go at the weekend when I attend the Tatton, Chester, meet (when it’s sure to rain!). 

NWales AR
NWales AR's picture

Blue 7, thanks for your post - sounds like a great solution. Please let us know how you get on. 

Blue7
Blue7's picture

Voila!

The insect mesh arrives folded so I thought I may have to iron out the creases but not necessary because the creases disappear within a short time once unfolded.  The light grey mesh gives perfect rear vision, I did wonder about doubling it up but decided against doing so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SJHWMMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Caterham poppers along the bottom and I inserted an additional one at each end near the roll bar.  I used Gorilla tape on both sides of the perimeter and inserted 5mm (internal), eyelets & grommets into the sides and along the top.  Warning: don't use cheap eyelets & grommets, most of which are on Amazon, they are carp.  Use a reputable brand, I used Hipkiss brand from a ships chandlers on EBay, which made me chuckle because I didn't realise Hipkiss were still in business, I was their Accountant back in 1970, when we first introduced the eyelet & grommet kits in what was then cutting edge packaging ... bubble packs!  The punch kit will cut the holes but I used my own tool for punching holes in leather belts ... bought to insert additional poppers in my shower cap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253399629156

I used velcro ties / strips circa 20 cm long threaded through the eyelets to attach to the roll bar

I cut holes along the bottom edge where the seat belt bolts are located but on reflection it doesn't seem necessary because once fitted the screen lifts above the top of the bolts.  I haven't tested it yet but it seems pretty sturdy ... while stationary and will easily roll up inside the half hood when not in use.  I will try it out on Sunday ... it should at least thwart rear attacks from wasps!

David Brown

That looks great Blue and interested how it works in practice. 

Blue7
Blue7's picture

David, we have a week away in Bonar Bridge in a weeks time with four other 7's, there is bound to be a "spot" of rain so the rain / wind reduction qualities should get tested.  As you know, it is not rain that is the problem but the fine spray that gets sucked in through the back.  Remarkably, I have only used the half hood once this year and that was to drive back home after a service.

My design is a bit labour intensive and could be done cheaper.  My original idea was to use velcro strips at each side so that each end could be stretched and wrapped around each vertical roll bar.  It would also be possible to attach velcro strip to the boot cover and bottom edge of the draft reducer which would be cheaper than buying poppers from Caterham.  However, the velcro would probably have to be sewn in place and Maggie no longer has a sewing machine ... so it might be her Christmas present Biglaugh

Update: Just been for a spirited run and the draught reducer seems totally useless at reducing draughts but at 22c I am very thankful Biglaugh  However, I am not really bothered about draughts, it's main function will be to prevent rain getting in at the rear when deployed with the half hood and I am certain it will be effective at that ... but some suitable test weather is required.

Update 2, just used it on a 120 mile journey home in pouring rain and I have changed my  mind, it does reduce rear draughts but more importantly it prevents the fine spray entering the car from the rear.

I am working on a Mk 2 version using just velcro on 1.6mm THICK UV COLD CRACK RESISTANT CLEAR PVC SHEETING for WINDOWS BOAT COVERS