Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Draught excluder for 2007 CSR

Gavel

• Area Representative

I have a Soft Bits half hood and draught excluder rescued from a previous car, a 2005 K Series SV. The hood fits perfectly on my new (to me) CSR but the draught excluder does not. Having driven through heavy rain last weekend in which the inside of the car, and I, got soaked, does anyone have any ideas on a workaround, or do I go back to Soft Bits? The mesh fits fine if I remove the lower section, but that leaves the flaps hanging to which the lower section Velcros to but I have yet to try this on the road.

Have you tried the half hood in rain without the excluder? The configuration of the excluder may be creating a negative pressure differential that is drawing in water off the hood. The direction of wind that is driving the rain on your recent trip may equally be a factor.

• Area Representative

I was using the half hood without excluder. I can't speak to the wind direction but I was moving along pretty swiftly in order to get to my destination as quickly as possible. I was soaked and the car interior is still drying out! I have now fitted the excluder, but it sits way too far forward away from the rear bulkhead to be effective (I think). I suspect fabricating my own to fit on the inside of the roll bar could be the answer.  

One of these slid between the rear straps of a SBFS hapf-hood and the rear roll bar bracing tubes, and tucked up under the top of the roll bar, works perfectly for incoming rear spray and also very effective against driving rain from the rear when parked up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumex-4410009-Lateral-Sunshade-50X100/dp/B001JYE47G/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=rear+car+sunshade&qid=1564944743&s=gateway&sr=8-8

They are as described and somewhat inaccurately as "draught excluders".  Similar very expensive accessories can be found on Morgans and Astons, the mesh is supposed to reduce draught and spray from the rear.  I had one but it neither stopped draughts or prevented spray from the rear, all it did was reduce rear visibility.  I have re-read your question Gavel but can't really understand where these "leaves / flaps" are?  From what I recall, it consisted of two headrest covers joined by mesh?

If you want complete protection use the standard Caterham hood ... or man up and "GO AERO" ... humble apologies but I just couldn't resist that one *biggrin*

It is a 2-part affair. There is a pocket that fits between the seats, with each end hanging around the head restraint post. The flaps at the bottom of the mesh velcro along the top edge of this pocket. Unfortunately, the mesh bit is too small to be effective as it leaves a large gap up to the half hood. If the head restraints are not at the same height, or the seats not aligned, the mesh looks awful.

I made my own using pvc conduit, heated to bend into shape, and fly screen glued to it. Cable tied to the roll bar, this covers a far bigger area than the SBFS one that mounts between the headrests. Having had problems with water dripping off and down the back of the seats, I’ve just added a strip of brush draft excluder to the bottom edge which mates nicely to the boot cover and seat belt bolts. Looks good but haven’t yet tested it. 

David, I have been searching for that email from you for hours, thanks for posting ... maybe you could send it again?  It could be a handy accessory when we travel down your way ... never required up here of course because we always have such fabulous weather ... not wot like you get doon in Nicorla's wide belt  *biggrin*

• Area Representative

Ian, I took your advice and took delivery today. Had a brief play with it tonight when I got home and I can see distinct possibilities. Any specific advice in fitting would be gratefully accepted. For example, do you fasten if down with anything? Cable ties, Velcro, bungees? 

I assume it must be "Ian B" with his sumex sunshade but can you actually see through that mesh or does it completely obscure rear vision, which is not ideal.  I would prefer David Brown's solution, you will at least have some vision through fly / insect screen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biocare-Insect-Mesh/dp/B001VCJTZS/ref=sr_1_29?keywords=fly+screen&qid=1565684156&s=gateway&sr=8-29

Indeed it was Ian B's Sumex. The jury is very much out on its effectiveness but I need something desperately. I take all comments about being a wus on the chin, but living in darkest North Wales, where the rain comes in with a vengeance, I need to at least try ... I even put the full hood up the other day with skinned knuckles and broken finger nails to prove it.

I too like the idea of making my own, it's Plan B if all else fails.

I have decided to have a go at a DIY version and have ordered 1 mtr. of this flyscreen which is advertised as waterproof

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SJHWMMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My idea is to cut it to the shape of the inner roll bars and edge it with Gorilla tape.  Then insert poppers in the lower section to fasten onto the existing boot cover poppers that are screwed into the frame for a tonneau cover.  Then insert maybe 3 or 4 eyelets & grommets along the top section, through which I will thread velcro straps to fasten around the upper section of the roll bar and maybe a couple more either side  to attach to the side roll bars.  When not in use it can just be rolled up inside the half hood.   Sounds a good idea in theory but no doubt I will encounter some issue ... nevertheless I will give it a go.

Made something like it a while back, but edged it with 2cm wide hemtape (out of Christine's  sewing box). Similar use of lower poppers and Velcro loops. Left in place these days as CSR used for touring only. Certainly calms things down in the cabin and cuts out rear spray with the halfhood in place.

Sorry Gavel, don't come on here much now.

No, no need to fix the mesh with anything. It has a "wire" edging to it which I push up under the half hood so it just goes over the top of the roll bar, which holds it in place.

It's also held in place between the rear roll bar braces and the half hood straps that run down the top face of them.

The bottom edge sometimes bows up a little in the middle but it's not a problem.

You can see through the mesh fine, and it keeps the spray (and most of the rain if parked up) from coming into the cockpit and down the bulkhead behind the seats.

For a couple of quid it's a very effective accessory.

Ian B, thanks so much for your response I confess I’m not on here much, but I’m changing my opinion, the helpful suggestions I’m getting on my initial post is very encouraging.

i shall give your solution a go at the weekend when I attend the Tatton, Chester, meet (when it’s sure to rain!).